• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

minor setback

mergatroid

Ended up in the E.R. most of yesterday. It had been ten days since I had a bowel movement. That fact didn't concern me too much, but the past few days was painful! It felt like I had a stuck softball in there. I tried suppositories and an enema, no luck. Yes, I called my team. All I got was the run around with phone messages. So, I went to the E.R. An I.V. was put in, blood drawn, and X-rays taken. The x-rays were to make sure no scar tissue was blocking the flow. Finally they gave me an enema and some Go-Lytly to drink. What a relief! They sent me home with a prescription for Miralax. By the way I could not drink much of the Go-Lytly. Eww. I couldn't mix it with Gatorade, and that doesn't even help. I'm just relating all this in case it's helpful for someone else down the road. If your team doesn't respond promptly take action yourself.

Mergatroid-I'm glad you are finally over that ordeal. I have been on a stool softener since a week post surgery due to the drastic change in diet. Considering most of us can barely eat enough to get our protein in we all end up lacking fiber. Even if I manage to eat some veggies, which I love, it's never enough to balance things out.

Glad you finally took action to make yourself more comfortable. Every center is different, I wonder at these folks who don't call back or seem to care. Sorry you had to go through that. I wish everyone could experience a Center of Excellence. If yours is labeled as one I would contact the Medical Director or the State where it is located and report such bad care. Whoever thought that relief was spelled "poop"?

I'm glad you're feeling better. You made the right decision. Let us know how the Miralax works. I almost bought some OTC but was scared.

That's good advice Mergatroid. I am glad to hear there was serious issues but did all that help you go yet, I think the longest for me was 2 or 3 days it gets uncomfortable after a while. :cool: Tom

Considering most of us can barely eat enough to get our protein in we all end up lacking fiber. Even if I manage to eat some veggies, which I love, it's never enough to balance things out.

This is precisely why some surgeons prescribe a fiber supplement post-op. If you can't eat your fiber, you need to get it -- or some other assistance -- somewhere.

My son takes a pill. I think I might prefer a chewable.

Glad your doing better. I've been having somewhat the same problem. Was going on 5 days. But, today the counting ended.LOL

Can't fart with confidence yet. Sorry if that's a little too graphic. I heard it way back in my NAVY days and never forgot it. LOL. Anyway, now I am dealing with blood on stool. A little alarming, but after what I went through yesterday it wasn't unexpected. I'll have to mention it next week at my two week follow up. Thanks for your support team! You rock.

Can't fart with confidence yet. Sorry if that's a little too graphic. I heard it way back in my NAVY days and never forgot it. LOL. Anyway, now I am dealing with blood on stool. A little alarming, but after what I went through yesterday it wasn't unexpected. I'll have to mention it next week at my two week follow up. Thanks for your support team! You rock.

I know your ER experience was only yesterday but blood in the stool is never a good thing.

You could make a quick phone call to someone from yesterday's treatment just to verify that this is an okay and expected possibility.

It's only a phone call (or two), Mergatroid. Please don't wait another week to talk to somebody about this.

Did you all your doctor about blood in stools? That could be from the ED experience but it could be a problem, DO NOT WAIT TIL NEXT WEEK please, make a call to doc.

Back