• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Nervous, Excited & Anxious

I am brand new to the forum. I have started the process of testing for bypass sx. Have my first couple of tests scheduled. Nutrition class is first on 4/4/12, physc on 4/18/12 and a sleep study currently being scheduled. I still have to get my letter of medical necessity from my PCP (been two weeks and haven't heard back yet). EDG not scheduled yet (pending other tests completetion first). Having a little anxiety hoping to get this all completed within a month's time. Don't want to have to reschedule my surgery. I am SO excited to start my new journey and live a healthy life. :eek:

Hi Newbiginings. Welcome to the forum. You are on a wonderfull journey. All the waiting may seem like it takes for ever but the time will pass quickly. I was very anxious too and a little scred, my whole family was there for me on the day of surgery so that was a great help. If you have any questions or concerns there are a lot of great people here to help you out. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

Newbeginnings-Welcome to the best bariatric forum in the world :) You will find all kinds of support here and everyone is very friendly too. The anxiety and nervousness you are feeling are completely normal. It's quite a rollercoaster ride of emotions to go on this journey but well worth it. You have over 5 weeks until your surgery which is plenty of time to complete what needs to be done. It looks like your surgeon and staff have everything under good control. Make sure to visit here often and let us know how things are going. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. It's always best to follow the advice of your surgeon since some have a different approach but we can offer support in between your office visits and while waiting for your testing.

Thanks guys for welcoming me and the support. It's really nice to have somewhere that helps give advise to those questions you think of as soon as you leave the office. I haven't told my in-laws yet that I am planning on having this sx done (afraid they won't understand). I get told a lot "why have the surgery? you're not big enough to have it done. all you have to do is diet and excercise". In fact I am 100 pounds over weight and I have dieted (over and over) and always gain the weight back plus some. Not sure when to tell them because I want to but I think I will wait until I have the final "ok" from the doc. Hopefully they won't judge and have an open mind.

Everyone else is on board. Great support system. Looking forward to keeping you all updated on the progress. :)))

Hi Tom here. I think your in-laws should be understandin, just try and explain it like you just did and that you want to be healthy so you can be around for everybody as you grow old because you love them. You can also add that this is not a quick fix or a miracle cure, it is a change of lifestyle to help you become more healthy and after the surgery you need to maintain the new lifestyle changes (eating habits and exercise) you have learned. I know you must have thought long and hard about this and the descision did not come easy so remeber to convey that also, and if they are still a little apprehensive about your descision maybe quote Einstine "the dfinition of insanity: trying the same thing over again and expecting different results", it is one of my favorite quotes and it is what yo yo dieting is, diet lose weght gain it all back and a few more lbs then try it again same thing, and again etc..... We have all been on that crazy rollercoaster of diets. So are you having the Band, RnY or the Sleeve? Hang in ther and good luck with the in-laws they will come around eventually if they don't understand right away. :cool: Tom

I agree with Tom but I can also relate to your aprehension with not telling the in-laws yet. I told only a few people but asked them not to spread the word. Well, that didn't work *LOL* Before I knew it I was being asked 60 questions. I still haven't told my sister and don't know if I ever will. I've tried dieting on and off my entire adult life so I can always tell her I have been dieting. We don't see each other too often so I'm thinking it will be a looooong time before she sees me. Growing up she was always so competitive and I guess this is just my way of keeping something to myself and tucked away from her (I'm younger). Don't ask me why things ended up this way because I don't know *LOL*

You have every right to tell the in-laws when it feels comfortable for you and not a moment sooner.

thanks for the great advice from both of you. hopefully it will go well when i decide to let them know. keeping my fingers crossed. Oh and I am having the RNY done. :rolleyes:

RE: Nervous, Excited and Anxious

Hello all, I am a newbie to this group. My surgery date is scheduled for April 23. I have a quesion...the nurse practitioner said we need to take our meds one at a time and five minutes apart. Wow! I take 10 different pills each morning and I am having trouble even thinking about spending three hours trying to remember to do this. Does anyone know the reason behind this? I will do what it takes to be successful, but sometimes knowing the reason helps you to be able to follow the rules more accurately. Thanks, KAREN

Kareno-Welcome to the forum. I can think of 2 reasons for taking the pills 5 minutes apart. It gives a chance for each pill to pass through your new stoma without jamming in the opening. The second reason is it gives your intestines time to absorb the meds. If you take them at once you will not get the intended benefit because your intestines can only absorb so much at a time. If it's not necessary for you to take all of the meds in the morning try dividing them up so you take them 2 or 3 times throughout the day; morning, afternoon and evening. Put all of your meds for the day in a small plastic container or snack baggie and stick them in your pocket or purse so you have them handy. You can pre-set the alarm on your mobile phone to go off at the same times each day as a reminder to take the pills.

I started my Jounery to this life change in Dec. 2011 It has come along ways. I can't believe i already meet with the surgen. yes i'm nervous i'm the only one that drives so i wont beable to see my kids. That is one of my major down fall right now.

I started my Jounery to this life change in Dec. 2011 It has come along ways. I can't believe i already meet with the surgen. yes i'm nervous i'm the only one that drives so i wont beable to see my kids. That is one of my major down fall right now.

Hi Resa, Welcome to the forum. You have been doing great on your pre surgery weightloss, that will really help to shrink the liver and aid in recovery. I am not sure what your surgen will requre but I had to have someone bring me to the hospital because they said I could not drive myself home after I was released, my daughters all went with me for my surgery then one of my girls drove me back home. Good luck let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

HI RESA

have you got your surgery date yet? you're doing good on loosing the weight. What method of weight loss are you using now? I think I've tried every diet there is, get pounds off and bamb they come back. so looking forward to getting my surgery date, see surgeon in may and hope to get surgery done in May too. Let me know how things are working for you. and welcome to this site, it's been the best one I've found and love reading others inspirational stories and success's.
Donna

Welcome & I'm new my self. You are doing everything fine. I have the test for my heart. Then the last thing is they have to check the inside of my stomach,and I should be ready to go.

HI RESA

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ALREADY WEIGHT LOSS,
wow you're getting to see your surgeon already that's great. how soon do you see him or her? I've did all my pre test and started this journey in jan,2012 and don't see surgeon for first time til may4,12 but hoping I am lucky enough to also get my surgery in may too.
may I ask what diet plan helped you loose so much weight already?
welcome to this forum there are so many wonderful people here, all of us on the same journey and here to help others too.
hope you have a good day
Donna

Hi I am new to this. I am going to have the sleeve done. But I am having trouble losing weight now I am a diebetic. I think I have one more test to be done EdG is going to be done on May 25. then maybe they will give me a date. But I have to lose some weight I have to bad knees and cant exercise good banneddy27

hi banneddy27, welcome to the forum. I'm kinda still new here, but post as much as I can. I am currently playing the waiting game. I have had all my appointments just waiting for the insurance approval, should be any day now. Tomorrow it will be a week since I had my last nutrition appointment. then they will give me a 2nd consult with the surgeon and schedule my surgery, should be sometime in May! I'm excited and nervous both!

Hi banneddy27, I'm sorta a newbie, been on for a bit, but still don't post too often. I'm playing the waiting game right now, having the switch done hopefully next month. Just waiting on insurance which should be any day now, then I will get the 2nd consult with the surgeon and the surgery date set.

Back