• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

new and needing help

Hi., My name is Erin. I am new here. I had the bpd/ds surgery on 4-3-12. I am less than 2 weeks post-op and find myself struggling with my liquid only diet. I need some suggestions on what to do to add some variety to my diet. PLEASE HELP!!

Sophiarose-Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what you are allowed on your liquid diet. I was on full liquids on week 2 post op and was allowed to have hot cereals like plain cream of wheat, plain oatmeal and plain grits all made with milk. By plain I mean the unflavored variety without fruit pieces, etc. I was also allowed protein drinks. I switched things up by adding a tablespoon or 2 of no sugar added pancake syrup to my cream of wheat or oatmeal along with a no calorie sweetener. I also added a half scoop of flavored protein powder to change the flavor instead of the syrup. I used different flavors of sugar free drink mixes for my fluids and had 2 or 3 different flavors of protein drinks on hand. It might not sound like much but it helped me a lot. I had the RNY so I couldn't eat much of anything anyway. Another thing I could have was instant mashed potatoes. I had some potatoes with marinara sauce a couple of times and it tasted great at the time. I had to make the hot cereals and the potatoes on the thin side in order for me to eat them without discomfort. I hope this helps.

Hi Erin, I am Yom, Welcome to the forum. did you have the duodinal switch, I had the RnY like Pat had, my biggist problem was getting enough liquids in to stay hydrated, I am not sure what you can have on yourt meal plan, but I had a lot of protien drinks the adding yogurt. I remeber I was able to add mor foods at 3 weeks so if it is the same for you hang in ther it is only a few days away. Let us know how it goes. :cool: Tom

i cant even have soft foods or yogurt. its liquid only. broth, protein shakes, jello, popsicles...thinks like that...i had the duadenal switch. its just getting difficult. i need some new flavors.

Well then the only thing you can do is to look for new flavors. If you haven't already, try the tropical flavored no sugar popsicles. My niece went shopping for me and bought sugar free Kroger brand popsicles that tasted better than the Popsicle brand. Plus, there has to be at least a dozen different flavors of sugar free powder drink mixes available so there is a lot of variety to choose from. Good luck!!!

Hello Mamiof3kids here... New chick here. I'm hispanic. Age 33 weight 211 and getting gastric bypass May 30, 2012.. I'm I nervous nope! why? I have 3 kids by c-section so surgery isn't a big deal to me. I did hear unlike c-section you have a longer healing process so that's ok. I can deal with that. Starting in May 1, 2012 I have to do a 28 day diet. Then 2 days before surgery liquid diet. That will totally suck,but I want to be skinny so it would be worth it at the end.

Back