• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

new to the site

Hello all I am just finding the site. At this point my surgery should be scheduled by the end of May.
I have so many question that I do not know where to start.

I bid you welcome. The site is very quite this week, I am sure it's because of Easter. I should be more lively in the coming weeks, so don't fret, it's nothing personal.

cheers

Welcome. I think we have all been where you are. This is a life changing event. Ask any question. There is nothing you can ask that someone else hasn't thought about.

Thank you both. I would like to know if you had to have an upper gi and stress test before surgery. I am scheduled for these this week and wonder about the details. They plan to set my surgery date as soon as they have the results. It will be in May because I teach and do not want to miss to much work. As a matter of fact does anyone know how long after the surgery before one can swim. I love water aerobics so if I need to push the surgery to April that would be something to consider. Remember I warned you I have to many questions and the more I learn the more questions I have.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum!

Will you have an upper GI or an EGD? With an upper GI you drink the barium and they take pictures, with an EGD they sedate you and the doc goes through your mouth with a small tube and camera to see if anything is going on in your stomach or with the esophagus and they can check for a multitude of things. Some docs insist on a stress test before they will do surgery especially depending on your age and any history of problems like an irregular heart rate, high blood pressure, or just depending on what they can hear like a murmur. Remember most murmurs are benign but it is good to get them checked out. They can do two types of stress tests, one where you get on a treadmill and they stress the heart out while checking on you every few minutes and the other where they administer a chemical to make your heart work harder and they still check you every few minutes. In some cases they can give you a small amount of radioactive material and then take pictures of how fast it goes through your heart, but they will no doubt do a normal stress test on you. I have had all three and they were not difficult at all. They should also do some preoperative classes to let you know what to expect before you have surgery. I can't remember how long before they allowed me to swim but I had my surgery in March and the pool was finally warm enough to swim the end of April but I think they would have let me start sooner. Just make sure the incision/s are healed and not draining but they should tell you that too. If there is one thing I have learned it is that each center is slightly different and it is always best to check with your center. Write all your questions down for the Doctor or staff and get the answers. Every time you think of a question, write it down. I still carry my little notebook back and forth to my appointments. Carry a list of your meds with you too so you can make adjustments as needed. Come back frequently, and ask those who have been there before you. Good luck. I hope this helps some, I can only speak for what my center does, yours may be somewhat different depending on the procedure you are having done. Joy

JavaJoy explained everything very well. I did have an upper GI, but did not need an endoscopy. I was reporting shortness of breath so I had a nuclear stress test in order to be cleared. I could not walk on the treadmill so they did a simulated one where they injected me with something to bring my heart rate up. I was then cleared. The shortness of breath was due to being so overweight. Now I can walk up hills and it feels great. I would ask about the pool. I am not sure which surgery you are having. I had the sleeve and only had small pieces of tape on my incisions spots. They came off in the shower. I would make sure you are healed inside as well before doing anything. Wishing you all the best

Kim M has some great advice concerning swimming and exercise. When it comes to adding exercises after surgery, other than walking, you should consult with your Dr. first. Mine told me that it would be at least 4 weeks before he would approve me going to the gym, swimming, running etc. The best advice I can give you is to follow what the Dr. says in this regard. If you start too soon, you could end up hurting yourself and wind up back in the hospital. Good luck, you sound like you can't wait to be a BIG LOSER too.

Frank

:cool:

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I will be checking with the Dr at every detail. I am not looking forward to the swallow test but from what I read here it shouldn't be to bad. I am so glad I found this site because having someone to talk to about this has to good. Best wishes to all

Need some information. I went for the Upper gi test and stress test today. The upper GI was a breeze. My problem didn't start until the put me on the treadmill. Wow that thing was moving and at an incline. My pulse target was 180 but I could only make it to 179 because my knees hurt to much. Question has anyone else had this happen. I will not know the results until I go back for the echo in two weeks. I am so stressing here and a little disappointed that I could not make myself finish the test.
Advice, comments needed.

Back