• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Not doing well

desertgirl

Hello,
This is my first entry. I am looking for someone to talk to about after surgery blues. I had gastric bypass surgery on February 27, 2012. I am only allowed to eat protein. My day starts with pills, pills, and more pills. I hate taking them because they do not feel good in my stomach. I am trying to take my first batch early in the morning so I can go back to sleep and not deal with how they feel.. I need to drink two 30 grams of protein shakes a day. YUK! I find it very hard to go down. I also am supposed to eat 3 one ounce meals a day. I can barely get in two. I take vitamins 4 times a day. My stomach always feels bloated and not very happy. As a result, I wake up very depressed and not wanting to start with the vitamins which results me procrastinating taking them. Once it was noon before I even started. The weather has been very cold and it has been very wet outside. I really thought winter was over. I should walk every day but I haven't. I have been exhausted. I have no desire to do anything. Actually, I do have a desire but I do not have transportation. I am stuck up in the canyon with no where to go. I think I just want to talk to someone.
desertgirl

Desertgirl-welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you feel so yucky. I had my surgery on the same day as you :) It might help if you added some water to your protein shakes to thin them down a little. And if it's gas that is making you uncomfortable you can use GasEx. If you are lactose intolerant you can use lactaze enzyme. I have to use both otherwise my stomach hurts. If you are allowed to eat hot cereals for your meals make some instant cream of wheat with milk instead of water. If you make it on the thin side it will feel more comfortable in your new tiny pouch. Another thing, drink and eat very slowly. Sip, sip, sip your fliuds throughout the day. I still can't eat chunky food without getting discomfort or nausea. Stick with the softer foods until you are more healed and can handle things better. If things get too bad call your nutritionist for advice.

You will find a great bunch of people here to talk to. Make sure to come back to the forum to let us know how you are doing.

Thank you Pat for responding. I have noticed that it is the protein drink that is making me uncomfortable. The taste is ukky and it bothers my stomach. I do water it down. I am not sure if I can have hot cereal. I am only to eat protein. I do not think hot cereal is protein. I have been told that quinoa is a complete protein and I found a recipe to fix it. Have you ever tried it? It is exciting to me to know that you had surgery on the same day as I have. I hope I get to meet others who use this site.

Hi Desertgirl, Welcome. Have you tried different types of protien drinks, I know it is very difficult get all the liquids, and meals down along with vitamins, I rember getting most of my protien from shakes and then protien bars when I was on the go, it's probably still to early for protien bars for you though. Just do the best you can, the most important things are the protien and fluids to help speed up recovery. Take care and hang in there. :cool: Tom

Hello,
This is my first entry. I am looking for someone to talk to about after surgery blues. I had gastric bypass surgery on February 27, 2012. I am only allowed to eat protein. My day starts with pills, pills, and more pills. I hate taking them because they do not feel good in my stomach. I am trying to take my first batch early in the morning so I can go back to sleep and not deal with how they feel.. I need to drink two 30 grams of protein shakes a day. YUK! I find it very hard to go down. I also am supposed to eat 3 one ounce meals a day. I can barely get in two. I take vitamins 4 times a day. My stomach always feels bloated and not very happy. As a result, I wake up very depressed and not wanting to start with the vitamins which results me procrastinating taking them. Once it was noon before I even started. The weather has been very cold and it has been very wet outside. I really thought winter was over. I should walk every day but I haven't. I have been exhausted. I have no desire to do anything. Actually, I do have a desire but I do not have transportation. I am stuck up in the canyon with no where to go. I think I just want to talk to someone.
desertgirl

Hello Desertgirl, i just had my surgery on Friday the 13th of April and I had a ruff time in the hospital with pain, but i had to have 4things done at one time as well so i will have more pain then most. I started drinking my Soy Protein shakes today and i found that it was to think, so i put in 2 more Oz's of water in it and its great now, i was only able to get in 10oz of protein but thats ok, i drank some broth, i love that stuff it's so good and it goes down smooth... Love it! I sip my Crystal light water or i use MIO drops both are yummy! I'm sorry your having a hard time with the vits, i have to take a lot too and i found that writing it down on paper when i took them helps me space them out so it doesn't seem like I'm taking so many at one time. remember one day at a time, we are not perfect and will make mistakes.... This is a learning process for you and for me and for everyone we learn what our bodies like and don't like in a big hurry, Ive over did it twice today with liquid, it hurt so bad, i came close to throwing up in the hospital like three or four times, it was so crazy LOL, I know that we will have the blues at some point in time, remember the reasons behind why you did this, for me it was to be health again, i had a lot of medical issues and had to take over 6 different medications, not fun at all, i hate taken pills. I'm hear for you sweetie we all are... this is your sounding board! Take one day at a time and remember to breath, sip your water, sip your protein and in between take your pills, you'll get it. Hang in there. Praying for you! :D

Desertgirl-Yes, I have had quinoa and like it very much. I haven't eaten it since surgery though because I'm not supposed to have grains yet except for the hot cereals. You might want to try a few different brands of protein shakes to see if one works better for you. I have to take lactaze enzyme because I am intolerant to the lactose in the shakes. I also take GasEx to help with the excess gas and associated pain and bloating that the surgery causes. You might want to try it to see if you are more comfortable after eating. It worked for me!!! Regarding your pills, space them out throughout the day. They take up room in your pouch and can cause you to feel overfull if you are taking them too close together. I put my meds and vitamin supplements in a small plastic container or snack size baggie and carry them around with me so I can take them at intervals. You can even set an alarm on your cell phone to remind you to take your pills. I do this and it works great.

Make sure to let us know how you are doing. We are all in this together!!!

Crymsynslady, You are a real blessing. I appreciated everything you had to say. My motto is this too will pass! I take 5 medications in the morning and one at night. I then take, about 2 hours later, my morning vitamins and such. After a bit I try to literally eat something. By this time it is already 12:30 in the afternoon. That's when I try to have a protein shake. I have tried different kinds. One worse than the other. The first time I try it, it seems OK. Then they get yukkier and yukkier until I cannot stomach them anymore. I ordered some protein from Bariatric Advantage and hope it tastes good. I believe it is the whey isolate that I do not like. But that is the one the doctor said we need to drink. Costco has a pretty good one. But then again after awhile I couldn't tolerate it either. I do write everything down. I wouldn't know when I was due to take the next set. The problem with the protein drinks is not the thickness but the taste. When I receive the one I just ordered I will let you know how well I can tolerate it. One day at a time! One day at a time!

Desertgirl that is a great motto to have, one day at a time and the pain and the intolerance will pass with that day, your so right! Im having a protein problem right now my self, its not the taste for me , it hurts when i drink it and ive thined it out once already so i have emailed my food person and asked her what i should do. What flavors have you tried, If you dont like the whey then switch over to the Soy Protein, it tastes really good, as long as it's super cold! i have a picture in the fridge with water in just for my protein shakes. can you do soup yet? or eggs? Im not as far into my diet as you are but you might want to try and add the protein to the soups or eggs. Im praying for you and I know that everyday will get better and better for you. if you can get out and walk around being outside will help you too. I know being outside for me is great, I love the fresh air, it clears the mind, take a little blanket out there and sit under a tree for a little bit and read, im not sure if you have any children but if you do take then out and let them run around while you walk, it will help. I promise you wont feel so traped either. Im hear for you.. Are you on face book? if you are add me, Julie Carlson

I have been on the liquid diet since 4/8, surgery is Wednesday :) I bought Isopure from gnc. It has 25 grams of protein per scoop. It is lactose free and I just love it! I didn't think I would ever say I loved a shake that is good for me, but I do. I mix it with almond milk and ice and it tastes wonderful! It was reccomended to me by my bariatric nutritionist. I hope this helps and keep up the good work! It's so nice that we have people to talk to who are going through the same experience or have gone through it already!

I have tried the Isopure. It is cheaper at The Vitamin Shoppe. They also have more flavors. At least in my area. At first they taste ok but before I finish it I cannot stand it. So I just drink it. I used to be able to add a half banana and I liked it then. Now my nutritionist and doctor say only add water. Before I can finish it it is warm and oh so yukky. Thank you for responding. Good luck on your surgery. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Julie, Yes I am on facebook but my computer just kicked me out of it. My computer is possessed. I may be going out of town for a couple of days so I wont be on fb. You can be friend me: Natalie Hall
When I first had the surgery all I had was broth and herbal tea. Some Crystal Light but it was too sweet for me. I don't remember drinking the protein drink right away. I know I did. I was trying all sorts of protein drinks at that time. Most were so bad I would almost throw up. I have had a pretty easy time with food going down. I have learned that I must chew, chew, chew and sip. I used to be a guzzler. I could drink 8 ounces in a guzzle. Not any more.
A funny story: The first day on pureed foods which was the day I came home from the hospital, I thought I would have a hard boiled egg. I forgot that all I was to eat was one ounce of food and thought it was three. So I carefully measured out 3 ounces and ate it. I must say that I also didn't know just how slow you were supposed to eat. OK, I am eating the egg which is as dry as can be and I cannot finish it. I think to myself: What are they crazy I can't eat all this. AND I DIDN'T. Let me tell you the pain I had in my stomach. My tiny little pouch. I called the nurse and told her about it and we both laughed. It wasn't funny at the time though. Take care.

I have tried the Isopure. It is cheaper at The Vitamin Shoppe. They also have more flavors. At least in my area. At first they taste ok but before I finish it I cannot stand it. So I just drink it. I used to be able to add a half banana and I liked it then. Now my nutritionist and doctor say only add water. Before I can finish it it is warm and oh so yukky. Thank you for responding. Good luck on your surgery. I look forward to hearing more from you.

I tried this last night, i was having a hard time taking my protein as it hurt, so i took a 1oz cup you know like the ones they give you in the hospital right after surgery? I took that and put my protein in there and i was able to drink it and finish it before it got warm and it didn't hurt :rolleyes: i was so happy, i got in 23grams of protein yesterday YAY!!! Try it and see if it works let me know

Yes im having a hard time not drinking to much, ive over done it now almost everyday since leaving the hospital and i always think to myself what you are doing silly.... the amount of pain i feel when i do it you think i would learn... but oh no.. Im so silly:p

I am not sure what you mean by the one ounce cup. You have barely been out of surgery a week. I am amazed at how good your attitude is. You are an inspiration to me. If you can have such a good attitude now I should have a wonderful one now. Attitude is a lot. I only lost 8 tenths of a pound last week. I should be depressed but I am going to keep a smile on my face. I also didn't do too good with water and protein last week. Maybe that has a lot to do with it.
:p

I am not sure what you mean by the one ounce cup. You have barely been out of surgery a week. I am amazed at how good your attitude is. You are an inspiration to me. If you can have such a good attitude now I should have a wonderful one now. Attitude is a lot. I only lost 8 tenths of a pound last week. I should be depressed but I am going to keep a smile on my face. I also didn't do too good with water and protein last week. Maybe that has a lot to do with it.
:p
When i was in the hosptial they gave me these little one oz cups to drink from, i also know that when you by advil liquid or any cold meds it will come with a little cup, that little cup is one oz use one of them, my protein is making me very sick today but I talked to my nurse and i have a plan im going to switch what i use to see if that helps, Im praying it does since this stuff isn't cheap. Thank you for complment :eek:, Any weight you loss is a PLUS PLUS!! dont be depressed! Smile you lost last week and thats all that matters, if you go the other way then i would be worried a little bit... Remember to sip sip sip, get your water in and your protein, mix your protein in stuff that is what my nurse told me to do, so im going to try it and i will let you know how it works for me. I know not everything that works for me will work for you and visa versa but it's always great to try and learn :). We will get throught this together! Have a great tuesday:cool:

That's so funny, I had the same problem when I tried to eat a boiled egg. It might as well have been gravel *LOL* I switched to scrambled and didn't have any issues. Try buying an unflavorved protein powder and mixing it in liquids that you like the taste of. It can be a sugar free fruity drink or coffee, bouillon, etc. You can also mix it in cream of wheat and instant mashed potatoes once you are allowed to eat these foods. This makes it easier to get your protein in. You won't be able to get 100% of your protein in the very beginning but will rapidly be able to increase it until you can.

I never had any trouble with eggs but I could never get used to the texture and flavor of unflavored protien powder mixed into any of my food or drinks but I could drink the flavored protien powder in a shake:rolleyes:

I add ice to my protein shake. They wanted me to avoid protein shakes so that my nutrition was from food. You eat like we do and not need a shake. I just started a shake not quite two weeks ago and had surgery 2/15. I have a lot of trouble taking my meds to.

I wouldn't be able to even come close to getting enough protein unless I have shakes. I might be able to get 15 or 20 grams of protein from food at the most. I know this will improve over time but until it does I will continue with the shakes because protein is the key to weight loss, healing and energy. In addition it will help keep hair from falling out.

hi desert girl

like others have said, you're not alone this room full of gracious people are willing to share there stories and walk with you by emails.
You're not alone , god is with you ask him to show you how much he loves you,, he's brought you through your surgery and will help you with your new journey to a new an healthier you.
Suffering with pills and yucky drinks is not a joy but others have some great idea's that i hope work for you. Are there no public transportation's where you live? I've never been to ca,. So i know so little about things there.
You've lost 29 pounds that's great!
I pray your discomforts improve quickly and that you find a protein supplement that agree's with your body. I'll gladly listen if you need someone to talk to and pray you have a good day & some fun this weekend too.
Donna

Back