• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

NSA, Non-Scale-Victories

fkrebs

This has been an incredible week so far. Where to start. On Tuesday evening at our regular bi-weekly support group, I was asked if I would be the spokesperson for the Dr. Office and speak to people about WLS at Health Fairs in the area. I said that I'd love to, then came the bonus, they said they'd pay me to do something I'd do for free. Looking forward to that. I will talk with anyone, anywhere. any time about WLS, now I can get paid for it. Woot! (as my daughter would say.) Yesterday and today I completed the required dives so that I'm now a certified Open Water Diver. Can't wait until our yearly trip to the Caribbean this winter. It will be great to dive the reefs down there. In the space of a week I managed to get a great second job, something I am very passionate about and I completed a long time goal of scuba diving. Next on my list is Zip lining, which we are arranging for sometime in August. This is what makes this such a great journey, changing your lifestyle and doing things outside of your comfort zone.

So what do you want to do or try that is outside your comfort zone that your size kept you from trying?

Frank

:cool:

Hi Frank,
WTG!! What fantastic news you shared with the group!! I will get back to the group about what I want to do outside of my comfort level...I have to give this some thought. Take care and good luck as you continue your journey on many levels now!! Nancy

Totally awesome, Frank, you are the man! When I'm at my support group, I keep my mouth shut and my head down, too many women, they scare the bejesus out of me! Way to go and great job and be careful down below. I'll stick to my water wings.

Congratulations! You really have had a great week. I know you'll do great at your new speaking job just from reading all of your supportive and informative posts on the boards here. You seem to be such a "people person". And as for the scuba diving, enjoy yourself and tell us how it goes. My husband has asked me about doing that on several occasions and I told him that would be something to think about next year. So I'm open to trying that one day, but the idea of it makes me a bit nervous. Although, I'm sure there are so many amazing things to see. But congrats again, I'm sure your family is very proud of you. :)

You know, I couldn't bungee jump before and I'm CERTAIN I won't want to do it after. I couldn't go zip-lining before and I'm CERTAIN I won't want to after. I couldn't jump out of a plane before and I'm CERTAIN I won't want to do it after.
I guess I'll be satisfied to walk up a hill without sweating like a cow, Get up off the floor without assistance, buy clothes that aren't in the fat lady section of the store :)

That is awesome, Frank! There are many things that I would like to try. I use to have great anxiety on ladders, of all things, even step ladders. I wasn't afraid of heights, I was afraid of falling. Now I jump up on them no problem. I'm looking forward to fitting in a plane seat like I fit into a booth, without my girth touching everything. I would love to go bungee jumping now that I'm under the required weight limit. I just want to try things! Thanks for being an encouragement to everyone here, Frank. A true inspiration!

Well My week didn't end with getting my diving certification, on July 26th, my fourth Grandson checked in. He came in at 9lbs, 7oz and arrived at 4:24 in the afternoon. That ended a perfect week for me.

thank you all for your kind words. Karenina, no rule says you have to do any of those things. I'm glad that you know what you want. Who knows, as you get healthier and the weight comes off, you may want to try some different things. Either way, as long as you enjoy your life, that is what counts. Joyous1979 I don't think I'll ever Bungee jump, not really interested in that, but I'm glad to hear it's on your to do list. Let us know when you give it a shot.

Frank

:cool:

Congratulations on your newest grandson. Babies are great, aren't they? Unfortunately all my grandbabies aren't babies anymore (aged 11, 15, 19 and 20) but they're still fun.

Congrats. I've been diving once and was so embarresed by my size i didnt want to jump in, however i did and loved the expearence my husband said to start planning a trip.i think i would like to do the diving again after i loose some of the body mass :):) im on my pre liquid ive lost 8# my surgery is in the 12th of august. I hope i will be an good influence for someone also. Good for u (fist bump) :)

I'd like to try zip lining. It looks like fun. As a teenager I used to swim in a quarry and they had a rope pulley you could ride down from a tower to the water and I loved it so I think I could manage a zip line. I am just glad I can walk most of the time without my walker and am looking forward to dancing again (square dancing). YOu have done so well, Frank. Congrats on the speaking tour. Joy

Back