• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

October 30 day (+1) Challenge

Day 3
Food: had chicken chili with salsa, a little shredded cheese, and some sour cream. It's not lowfat, but Kroger's natural s.c. doesn't add all that funky guar gum, gelatin, and other additives. Kroger's natural only has 3 ingredients: cultured cream, skim milk, and enzymes. Anyway, very little meat & lots of yummy salsa, and no chips or other carbs. I'm really trying diligently to keep away from carbs.

Water: 90 oz

Exercise/movement: not much but I'll keep at it until it's a big part of my daily routine

Gratitude: I heard from a friend that usually texts me 1-2 times per month. Out of the blue she called. I think she actually intended to call another friend, but she opened up to me in a way that she never had before. So her "mistake" turned out to be a very serendipitous event for both of us. It was a heart-warming moment.

Okay, I have some catching up to do.

October Day 1

Calories: 574
Protein: 73 g
Water: 72 oz
Exercise: none
Grateful for my husband who has been pretty much doing all the work around here for months now. I don't deserve him, but I sure do love and appreciate him. For a while I thought our relationship was doomed, but recently discovered that my husband is in for the long haul and there probably isn't anything he wouldn't do for me. He has been my biggest supporter after my surgery.

October Day 2

Calories: 515
Protein: 74 g
Water: 82 oz
Exercise: 30 minutes stationary bike
Grateful for finally getting a good night sleep. I've been suffering from insomnia for weeks now. Some of it just getting used to feeling bones against bones on my body, some is just generalized anxiety. I have a two week prescription for ambien which so far seems to work great. I see my sleep doctor before it runs out.

October Day 3

Calories: 531
Protein: 86 g
Water: 92 oz
Exercise: None unless you count 16-lb baby lifts
I am grateful today because my husband and I got to drive up to Vail in the morning and spend the entire day and evening with our grandson. He is now 5 months old and very interactive. He thinks I am the most hilarious person he has ever met. We babysat while my daughter and son in law went to a wedding. They rented an airbnb, so we spent the night in Vail and came back this morning. We had a fantastic time with the baby.

The time with my daughter was questionable. While my relationship my husband has grown stronger since my surgery, my relationships with both my adult daughters has been very stressful. My daughter knows that my husband does not like donuts, she also knows they've always been a major weekness of mine. So she went to a fancy bakery and bought a bunch of over-the-top sweet donuts (the kind I'd used to die for) for everyone to share. I of course, declined. I had absolutely no interest in them. If she had bothered to learn anything about my surgery, she would have known her attempt to tempt me would fail. No mention of how much weight I've lost, though I complimented them on how nice the looked many times. Finally, as we were packing up to leave, I handed my husband my two thrift shop plates and asked him to wrap them up in something so they don't break on the drive home, and my daughter said "you're not going to steal a towel from the airbnb are you"? I just looked at her and said "Do you know me at all"?

Who are these strangers impersonating my daughters, and when will I see the precious women I love so much again?

Last edited:
Day 4
Protein: 90
Water: 80 oz
Movement: not a lot-woke up sore for some reason
Gratitude: I am grateful for having a hilarious, light hearted son that makes me laugh every single day
Biweekly weigh in: 178.6
I weigh in twice a week at the suggestion of my dietitian, and I usually do Monday and Thursday-to see how crazy I went over the weekend and to make sure I can reign myself back in through the week, and I’m going to post those on Mondays and Thursdays
Sleep: 8 hours

Last edited:
Tracking - Yes
Water - 40 plain
Gratitude - I have been trying to "decide" what I will be grateful for each morning, so that I take the time to actually appreciate it throughout the day. It turns out, it's never that thing. Yesterday was Monday, so I decided to be grateful for my brain. LOL But then I got my 1920's murder mystery costume. And of course, immediately noticed that while it fits like a glove .. it shows both my saggy knees AND my flabby under arms, which bummed me out.
And since gratitude and attitude are both a choice, I decided forget that! I am GRATEFUL for my flabby arms and yes, even my saggy knees. My body options were fat and full or healthy and saggy. There was no "perfect body" option for me, ever. I had always been heavy and had my son at 18. Stuff sags. It's fine. My body stuck with me through everything I threw at it (cheetos! lol) and is stronger than ever. I am grateful for it's resiliency alone; the way it looks is just a bonus.
Movement - Actually, not as much today.
Food - Did I mention I changed my goal to veggie forward? Hubby's never going to give up meat lol We had broccoli chicken divan for dinner. Heavy on the broccoli. So good.

Day 4

Water 75
Protein 62
Exercise No
Plank yes this has been making me sore but I think a good sore.
Gratitude. My son and his girlfriend are letting me come to Boston to see them. All by myself so I am kind of scared about this ( I do not like to travel) I will not be going until the 15 but I am so happy they will have me. My son will even be picking me up at the airport. I do not think I can do the train all by my self at night. So happy he said no mom I will get you. I don't want you on the train alone.

Monday Day 4

Protein 93
Water. 84
Calories. 1480
Exercise. No, wanted to at least get a walk in but it pored all day. Fibromyalgia has been acting up so exercise was unappealing.

Gratitude: I am so happy that my experiment went well after giving myself a day off from tracking Sunday to getting back to tracking on Monday. That may not sound like much but I need to train myself better when after one day of eating without judgement, I can get right back to healthy eating the very next day and not let multiple days get away from me. I have struggled with that the last several months.

Day 4

Water: 96 oz.

Food & Exercise: No. Had a "mild" flare-up of diverticulitis starting Sunday evening, continuing all day yesterday. Needed to fast yesterday and (gradually) pour water through my system, adding some extra Benefiber to help. Today is almost completely back to normal, thankfully (bonus Gratitude).

Weekly weigh-in: down 2 lbs from last week. Total weight loss: 42.8 lbs

Gratitude: Heard from my sister-in-law. She had changed her phone # and then had trouble getting in touch with us. Our cousin built the bridge to reconnect us yesterday. Sis told me that God sent me to be in her brother's life. That really lifted my spirits and warmed my heart. ❤❤

Day 5
Protein
: 80
Water: 72 oz
Movement: I’ve had a migraine all day so no. Wish I could have been in bed all day, but husbands out of town with work so I’ve been busy keeping up with everything. Also got a chiropractic adjustment today, so I’m sore too. For some reason I have a lot of inflammation in my left shoulder/neck
Gratitude: I am grateful for Tylenol!
Sleep: 8.5 hours

Last edited:
October Day 5

Calories
: 539
Protein: 73
Exercise: Walk 1 mile
Gratitude: Today I'm grateful for my amazing dog Okie! He is a rescue dog we adopted about 7-1/2 years ago. At the time he was estimated to be between 2-5 years old. I just love this little guy with all of my heart. The day I saw his picture on the humane society website I knew my life was just about to get a whole lot better, and it sure did!

Day 5

Water 68
Protein 60
Exercise Yes
Plank no
Gratitude for the luck, Karma or whatever it is that makes it when many staff call off for work for the day. We end up with enough staff to cover the members who show up for the day. We get so lucky most of the time. Most of all thankful for the staff who show up to work. ( we did buy all the staff who did come into work lunch)

Day 5 Tuesday

Protein 72
Water 84
Calories 1427
Exercise. Yes

Gratitude... Grateful for my sister and our good relationship that has developed over the years. We had a lot of sibling rivalry growing up and our young adult years. Then our lives just got very busy, she with a high profile executive career and me raising kids. The last 10 years or so we have gotten much closer. We now do trips together and visit each other when we can because we live 6 hours apart. She will be coming for a visit later this month and I am looking forward to it. She is also treating me to not one but two vacations next year! Lots to look forward to!!

Day 5
Tracking - no
Water - 32oz plain
Gratitude - I am grateful for my cat. She is such a snuggly baby and I ADORE her. As soon as I wake up in the morning, she knows. And drops everything (mostly my husband lol) to come in and give me a quick snuggle before I get up. Then she stays by me while I make my coffee, waiting for me to sit down so she can hop on my lap and get rubs. It's a great way to wake up.
Movement - no, dammit. I am doing something today!!
Food -
Potato Parsnip Soup for dinner. I added sweet potatoes, carrots and cauliflower too. This isnt' a "healthy" part BUT I also made homemade corn bread (not jiffy mix lol) for the first time. Not too shabby.

October Day 5

Calories
: 539
Protein: 73
Exercise: Walk 1 mile
Gratitude: Today I'm grateful for my amazing dog Okie! He is a rescue dog we adopted about 7-1/2 years ago. At the time he was estimated to be between 2-5 years old. I just love this little guy with all of my heart. The day I saw his picture on the humane society website I knew my life was just about to get a whole lot better, and it sure did!
If you don't mind, maybe you could share his picture with us sometime. We love animals here! ❤❤

Day 5

Water: 64 oz
Food: Had Lg Wendy's chili. Added shredded cheese, salsa, & sour cream, and ate it for lunch, snack, and dinner. Very little meat in it, but plenty of beans. Yum!
Exercise: lifted & pushed a wheelchair around yesterday, not much other exercise
Gratitude: It seems that since we started these gratitude acknowledgments, blessings have been pouring down on my husband and me. For example, I had phone calls from several people within a few days of each other when I really needed some moral support. And I was able to pass along some comfort to a friend who needed a hug & a few kind words, which was a blessing for me.

Day 6:
Protein
: 138 (good grief that’s a lot)
Water:64 oz
Movement: tracker says 1.76 miles through the day, not a lot but still sore from my chiro adjustment
Gratitude: I am grateful for vaccines! My kids and I got our flu shots today!!
Sleep:6 hours. Stayed up late to watch my Cardinals lose:(

Last edited:
Day 6

Water 70
Protein 65
Exercise Yes
Plank yes
Gratitude I am grateful to be able to help someone out. I was able to give my car to a worker so she could have her kid take her behind the road test. And she passed try one. She loves my Rav 4 now is telling her mom that is what she wants to save up and get. I got a teenage girl hug. Things that do not happen often.

Back