• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pain

Dianal

I'm just getting started on this journey. I was wondering about the pain after surgery and how great it is.

I'm just getting started on this journey. I was wondering about the pain after surgery and how great it is.

Hi Dianl, Welcome. It is different for everyone but I didn't think the pain was to bad, I was on a pain medicine on demand machine for the first 24 hours post op then they took that off and I was on a liquid pain medicine for about 6 more days then off completely, the only discomfort I had after that was when I laughed, coughed or when I stood up or rolled over in bed and that went away afetr about three weeks. :cool: Tom

I had an epidural for 3 days, PCA with fentanyl (which i didn't use), and then went to dilaudid oral pain meds. I had an open RNY, not a lap, but my pain was mostly discomfort. I was also up walking 3hrs after surgery. All I can say is move move move, the first time is the worst they say, but the more you get up and walk, the better it will be. Good Luck to you!

Hi Dianal

I was in quite a bit of pain the day of surgery and the day after, but the worst of it was the gas pain related to expanding my stomach. The doctor told me the gas related pain would last 24-48 hours, but it went just a bit longer. Ironically, my left shoulder hurt the worst. Pain meds in the hospital helped a lot. My surgery was on Thursday, I went home on Saturday, and was pain med free on Sunday. I am now 8 days pst surgery and have only minor aches/pains.

Hi PatIO, Welcome. Congratulations on your surgery. Which one did you have? I am happy to hear you are feeling good. I remember falling asleep all the time but I would still get out and walk all the time. My Pain didn't last long, the only thing that would cause discomfort was laughing or coughing and if I rolled over a certain way when I was in bed. :cool: Tom

Glad to hear a story of someone doing well, Hope it continues for you ! My surgery could be any time now and im getting nervous.

Hi Tom

I had the gastric bypass - RNY. I am doing well - but am so impatient. I had knee replacement surgery 5 years ago and I recovered very fast. I am not doing that this time. I feel pretty good, it is just taking me some time to get my strength back.

Oh yes I remember taking lots of naps my first month after surgery, slowly though I was back to normal. Hnag in there your strength will come back. :cool: Tom

Hi everyone i find that age has slowed me done...hate to admit it!!! I know i am progressing great otherwise just anxious to move on. I am trying food texture ahead of my post op guide. I am 3.5 weeks post op and on pureed fd wk 3-5 then soft 3wks then regular seemed so simple to read this before surg.

Hi Lee, Try not to over do it, you don't want to experience dumping to soon:eek: I know it seems like a long time but try to stick with the post op meal timeline as best as possable. :cool: Tom

Lee-I'm surprised you are able to tolerate certain foods before the recommended timeframe. I had my RNY on 2/27/12 and was just able to eat roasted chicken for the first time last week. Any solid meat made me so miserable before then I had almost given up trying to eat it. I couldn't even eat baked or broiled fish even though it was soft and tender. Like Tom said, it's better to follow the meal plan from the nutritionist so you don't set yourself up for any complications. It takes months for you to heal even though it might not feel like it.

Back