• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Please someone explain to me how to get 60 grams of protein in.

Dennis-I had a total hip replacement with pelvis reconstruction on 4/2. I was sent to rehab on 4/5 and spent 2 weeks there. I just got home Friday. The surgery went perfectly. The only problem I had was a LOT of pain during the first couple of hours of recovery then again when I first tried to stand up and walk over the next 2 days after which I improved daily. I couldn't even lift my right leg more than 1/2 inch off the floor when I went into rehab. I'm now able to take full steps with an almost normal gait but I need to use a walker for a while until I get my coordination back and more strength in my right leg and hip. I also need to continue to work on my posture to correct a slightly forward stance. For the first time in over 7 years I am happy to say my hip is totally pain free :) :) :) I can't wait to take my beagle, Molly, for a nice long walk.

Wow Pat, that had to be intense. I wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery.

cheers,

Dennis

Donna, I'm going to take a slightly different route. How much of your protein were you getting from the protein shakes, prior to your last visit. The reason I ask, is that if most or all was coming from the shakes, then that may have motivated her to say what she did. You should be able to get some, though certainly not all, of your protein from your meals. I do have to eat protein bars, but I get a lot of protein from my meals as well. Anyway, keep getting in all the protein, by whatever means work for you. Keep your spirits up, we've all had fits of depression in the early parts of the journey, you'll get past it. See you in the BIG LOSERs Club.

Frank

:cool:

Thank you Frank, she had me down to one shake which had 30 grams protein in it. The rest from food. She said since I'm 5 weeks out I should be getting it all from food. There's no way. I can't even eat a whole egg before I get pressure an stop eating. Which it takes 30 minutes for that. I guess that's ok. My pouch must be really tiny. So for now I'm gonna continue with one shake till I run out then go to protein powder till I can eat more. Thoughts of losing my hair scares me to death so if I have to continue the shakes for another month or so then that's what I will do.

Hey Donna:
I spoke with my nutritionist yesterday and she is very disappointed with my protein intake (no shocker here). So, this morning, I went to the grocery store and bought an Oh Yeah High protein Chocolate and Caramel - 26g bar. It is delicious and I ate about 3 bites of the thing. My stomach has growled, but no excessive burping or nausea, so Yay! I am going to try and eat the whole thing today and that will at least add 26 grams to my day. It is not low-carb, though, but at this point, getting any protein inside my belly without dry-heaves is a major achievement. Yesterday I made the turkey Wendy's chilli that everyone raves about on here and it also went down smooth. Honestly, I can only eat about 2 tablespoons of anything and I have to stop eating because it makes me sick. Our nurses warned us that some people will experience dumping and some do not. I guess I am just one on the lucky ones that has extreme dumping. I love that positive reinforcement, lol! Please let me know how you're doing and what you're eating. We can have baked potatoes and sweet baked potatoes, too, but guess what? They don't go down! I am shocked I am not losing more weight than I am though. It's about 4 pounds a week. Do you think it could be the protein? Take care and let us hear from you! - Laurie Ann

If you're looking for protein bars, I've found two that are low in sugar, high in protein. Pure Protein and Detour. I like Pure Protein the best and they have a large variety, which I like.

Frank

:cool:

Laurie Ann, I went an got me some yogurt this morning an some thin sliced turkey lunch meat. The turkey seems ok so far. I to get sick if I try to eat the amount my dr tells me. 1/4 cup. I hurt in my chest an burp or throw up. Chicken has made me sick two times. So last night when I had been trying for 30 minutes I stopped an just excepted the small amount I got in. Was only about 2/3 of a scrambled egg. But didn't get sick so that's what I'm doing from now on. I am getting 20 grams protein from milk. I drink a 12oz glass in morning an one in the evening. Went back to drinking a protein shake of mornings. It takes me a hour since the taste turns my stomach. Gonna get some protein powder to start putting in my food an milk. My dr says I can only eat turkey, chicken, pork ,beef, yogurt, cheese, milk an nuts. That's it. Am looking forward to nutrition appt so she can give me more food ideals. Best wishes. Hope protein bar works for you. Donna

Laurieann-Is there a reason you chose a high carb protein bar? You mentioned you suffer from dumping and the sugar in your protein bar can and eventually will trigger that. I just hate to see you put yourself through that when there are so many options for low carb bars. Like Frank said, Pure Protein has a large variety and they are VERY inexpensive at Walmart at under $4 for a box of 5 or 6. The Chocolate Crunch and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough are very tasty indeed.

And 4 pounds a week is a FANTASTIC weight loss and you should be extremely happy with that amount :) :) :) Keep up the good work. If you are concerned about hair loss there is an OTC supplement called Hair, Skin & Nails that might help. It contains safe levels of Zinc and Biotin along with other vitamins and minerals. My nutritionist recommended it when I was 5 weeks out and my hair started thinning out because I wasn't able to eat enough to maintain my protein levels. She didn't guarantee it would work but it did for me after 3 weeks of use. It's very inexpensive and can be bought at most retail chain stores including Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart and Walgreen. The good news is that you can stop taking it when you can manage to eat enough protein every day.

Thank you Pat and Frank for the carb-bar suggestion! I will go today and buy some of those bars! Have any of you tried the Atkins Bars? The support all of you give on here is amazing and I am so grateful for that! I have been taking the Biotin since before my surgery at the advice of our nutritionist, and the mucinex to help with post nasal drip that affects so many WLS patients! Good for you Donna, for buying the yogurt and the sliced chicken. I take one slice of chicken and one slice of swiss and roll it up. I can eat about what equals to one inch of that roll up and I put it back in the refrigerator in a ziplock bag. I hate wasting food, but Jeeezzzzz, I really can't eat more than 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time! I hope the yogurt goes down well for you. I really like the fruit on the bottom yogurt and I just avoid eating the fruit right now because all my stomach can hold is the plain yogurt on the top and it has a lid so you can put it back into the refrigerator. : ) I made roast last night in the crock-pot and am looking forward to having broth today for lunch and dinner. I just cannot eat anything except home-made broth. I wish I lived near you, Donna, because I would bring you over a nice container to sip on for the next couple of days. The best of luck today getting that food down and we will be past this stage before you know it! We will have better lives than we ever imagined and be so proud how we just keep trying! Keep taking that Zofran! I couldn't live without mine!- Laurie Ann

Laurieann-Interesting comment about the post nasal drip. I've been having this problem since shortly after my WLS last year and never made the connection. So much so that I was considering buying stock in Puff's Lotion tissues *LOL* Atkins bars taste great to me. But you need to be careful because not everything labeled as Atkins is bariatric friendly. Some bars are snack bars and have only 1 gram of protein so read the labels carefully. The snack bars cost less so people tend to gravitate towards these not realizing there isn't much protein in them. I think it's the Atkins meal bars that have high protein content but read the label just to make sure. I don't think you're that far off with the portion size you are able to eat 5 weeks post surgery. I was just starting to be able to eat more at 5 weeks, not that I was happy with that but because of not being to eat enough to get enough protein in and that's about when my hair started thinning out. I still can't eat a whole sandwich so I only make a half. I make 3 or 4 meals on the rare occasion that I have a restaurant meal and can comfortably eat 1 slice of pizza if I don't eat the crust. I still tend to put too much food on my plate even knowing it will end up back in the fridge or mixed in with a certain 4 legged friends dinner. Old habits die hard.

Hi Donna You are right about getting protein in but try to find food with the most protein or you can add protein powder to your yogurts and other things. It's true it's better to get your protein from your food vs shakes and it gets better as you get further out. Don't get frustrated just keep working at it. It's a work in progress. Patricia

Back