• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

poop

mergatroid

Now that I have your attention... I am one week post op and haven't pooped yet. I've passed a lot of gas, consistently, and am down 3 pounds (although, without pooping, I'm not sure how). I am not constipated. I was given a suppository before leaving the hospital "To help move things along." Sorry for being graphic...but the nurse said at the time that "the vault was empty". Afterward (like 15 minutes) I told her that it helped release a lot of the gas, which I was very grateful for, but that was all. She said that that was good. So, if I don't feel constipated, should I be concerned about not pooping?

If you are passing gas and don't have pain, I don't think you need to worry. You are probably not taking in much food, so as you do, things should work themselves out. Check the instructions you were given pre-op. There is probably a laxative suggestion or stool softener that you could start.

Hi there...no need to worry I did not "poop" for about 10 days after surgery and I think it is many due to liquids only, nothing can form. I am 3 weeks out eating a pretty normal diet and I am going regularly now. If you are passing gas then things are moving in the right direction!! Take care :rolleyes:

I was worried too but it finally happened I dint take anything but my doc said milk of Magnesia was ok if I felt i needed it but not to do stool softeners for now, Dont know why.

Mergatroid-It took me about a week or slightly longer. I had to take a dose of Milk of Magnesia (per the surgeon's recommendation) and the very next day, voila. Your body still produces waste even if you do not eat solid food. If you don't have the urge and do not have any related pain then I wouldn't worry about it quite yet. But it probably wouldn't hurt to pick up a small bottle of M of M. You're probably going to need it eventually. I bought a generic brand for half the price :)

i was the same way and thought that whatever i ate pre op needed to come out so i took one dose of miralax and that moved things within a day and fine since. Might try that if too much longer. Glad your doing good. michele

I remember it was really difficult for me to poo for the first couple months then it gradually got easier. I think it is normal. :cool: Tom

Back