• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-Op Testing Done and All Good!

Pre-Op Testing is Done and All Good!
My file is with the surgeon so I am waiting
for the dietician and a date.
Which comes first?

Thanks Everyone.

Hi,

I had to attend two nutrition classes before surgery. It was supposed to be three but she was pregnant so I got to skip the third class. I had to pass a nutrition test before she would OK the surgery. Every program is different. I was given scads of information regarding vitamins and other requirements plus a personalized plan of action. I still go back to the paperwork. She even gave us information on restaurant eating and travel tips. Good luck and hope you get your date soon. Joy

I had to have the psych evaluation then all testing done, then bloodwork, then I got my surgery date then had one combination orientation / nutritional class 2 weeks before surgery.

Keep checking in. My file was incomplete of one follow up request which delayed my date. Hope to visit with you more. Elaine

There are insurance requirements that include a certain number of visits with the nutritionist, a psychological evaluation, and a visit with the surgeon following that. You are on your way. Blessings to you!

Thanks, the waiting is hard. Got a call that the surgeon authorized my surgery, now it's time for the nutritionist's go at me. Will see how that goes or long it takes.

I saw the surg first then had all the post op testing after a visit w/the dietician, an orientation to the program, approval from insurance company, pre-op class & what to expect, pre-op appt & testing & then pre-admission appt. My appt w/the surg was 02/28/12 & surg was on 06/06/12.

Think every program runs a bit differently; I'd just call & ask - you've got nothing to lose. ~ Mary

Hi,
I am in sort of the same location as others. Just finished giving what seemed like a gallon of blood, then off to the nutrionist next week. Waiting till September to get the fun tests (colonscopy, and what ever the one down the throat is called).

The good news so far is the blood tests were good except I need to take some fish oil pills. I guess that is not so bad. Still working on the diet. I am so impressed with the drive to keep focused. I struggle every day. i have a lot of outside pressures and food has been my go to escape.

I am grateful for this forum. Not a day goes by that I don't stop and peek into this world. So a happy shout out to all of you in cyber space working on WLS thing!

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who had to have a colonoscopy before my surgery *LOL* I have NO CLUE what one has to do with the other. It was actually my PCP that wouldn't give her approval to the surgeon until the colonoscopy was done. Turns out that it just happened to be time for it since the last one was done 5 years earlier. I guess she figured I would procrastinate if she left it up to me to follow through.

Hi Everyone!
I am on my Pre-op diet day 4 and surgery is Sept 19... found a shake at walmart that met all the requirements. Already missing food but it's worth it I'm sure.
Need a hew hobby besides cooking. Hope the next 12 days go fast!

Back