• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein drinks & shakes

robergnm

There is a lot of buzz about protein drinks & shakes.

None are allowed on our program.
We were told from day 1 that Froedert & the Medical College of WI is a Bariatric Center of Excellence & all the stuff to keep that but more importantly that they take a more conservative approach to everything than more, most or other programs.

I like to call it tough love, no nonsense or strict.
Me, I need this to succeed & NOTHING that they've asked of us (surg in 3 days) has been unreasonable, difficult or otherwise.
I've experienced nothing but kindness, respect & encouragement and really feel like I've found a home.
The many patients I've met, mostly at the support group are fantastic, positive and super encouraging.

We've been told, Day 1 - you will not drink your protein or calories with the exception of 1-8oz glass of milk between the 3 meals; no snacks either.
Though I haven't been completely compliant about the snacks I do go for protein & nothing of huge quantities as was the problem that helped me get to this weight.

So here's what I'm wondering; is there a link between the products offered on this website and members dietary programs?

Do other dietary programs from other service providers vary greatly?

Are shakes & protein drinks commonplace before and/or post surgery?

I will obviously stick to the guidelines of my programs but I'm wondering how much or many differences are there between us?

Thank you - Mary (wondering??)

I am encouraged to drink at least one protein enriched drink a day. I was told by my dietician/nutritionist that there is no other way to get in 60-80 g of protein a day without it since our portions are so small. My meal plan also includes 3-8oz glasses of milk and/or yogurt everyday. I have started making my own Greek yogurt at home, adding fruit and splenda to each serving, and I love it.

How much protein are you required to eat a day? How are you to get it all in?

Hi Mary. I started on protien shakes for my pre surgery liquid diet to shrink my liver and for about two months post surgery to make sure I got enough protien in and when I was able to get that from foods and protien bars (I have eaten protien bars for years for extra energy at work) that I eat then about a year ago I started having a protien shake for breakfast or after a workout and sometimed both. In my line of work (Wildland Firefighter) extra protien supplaments is normal, I have just never been fond of the shakes but since my surgery I have found a few of them I like. But I can also see where your surgons are coming from because most folks don't use protien shakes unless it is from a Starbucks Smoothy (I hear they are really good) :rolleyes: or something like that. :cool: Tom

Suggestions for Protein drinks and bars

I got my date and have to do a diet for 2 weeks or so before surgery of 4 Protein drinks, fruit and a low fat meal each day. Question is what Protein drinks do you all prefer, Carnation instant breakfast without sugar added, Diabeti-trim,EAS Advant Edge Carb Control, Worldwide Pure Protein Shakes, Atkins Advantage shake,Desingner Whey, or Syntrax Matrix? Those are the ones given in paperwork given to us before and after the surgery.
December 3 will come fast I am sure but want to be prepared. I am not totally clear that my Primary Care doc is going to support this but will try to convince her!!

Sandie-I like the EAS premade shakes and Unjury powder (Unjury.com). Carnation sugar free is OK too.

Don't worry about your PCP, she will support you providing you are healty enough to have the surgery and meet the requirements for needing the surgery.

Thanks, where do you buy the Protein drinks.
My Primary Care doc is a stickler for exercise and that anyone can lose weight if they chose to hard enough! I will have to have her support it or I will find another doctor to support me!! She is at the VA so may think she can stop me but cannot!

My Primary Care doc is a stickler for exercise and that anyone can lose weight if they chose to hard enough! I will have to have her support it or I will find another doctor to support me!!

Congratulations, Sandie! I think that's a great attitude. If your current pcp won't support you in this decision, you'll find someone who will. Assuming you are a good candidate for the surgery, that's the only way to go.

When I first considered wls (several years ago), my pcp was of a similar mind. When I approached her, she stated categorically that she would not sign off for wls for me. She said that anybody could diet off weight; it only required not being a glutton and exercising and having a little willpower! I was embarrassed and felt ashamed. I let her talk me out of it. I was 100 pounds overweight. I'm still 100 pounds overweight.

For Surgery type you wrote MGB what is that? We both have the same goal weight, wonder how many make it to their goal weight? Supposedly, you lose 60-70% of your excess weight so how to lose that other 30-40%. I am worried but someone MUST sign off for me!!! The question is will my insurance sign off with anyone other than my Primary but we shall see!

Sandie-I get the EAS shakes at WalMart. Just be careful to read the label to make sure you pick the low carb version. They run under $5 for a 4 pack. I also heard Rite Aid sells them in a bulk pack but I don't know if the price ends up better or not. The Unjury powder can be purchased on-line at unjury.com. Some surgeon's carry the Unjury powder so their patient's can buy it from them. My surgeon does so I save shipping costs that way. He doesn't mark the price up either :)

Years ago my PCP was not a fan of WLS either. After she saw for herself the benefits it had on some of the patients that came into her care after their surgeries it changed her mind completely. I was glad of that when it came time to have mine otherwise I would have found a different PCP too. I was actually surprised when I told her I was going to have the surgery because she smiled and said it was probably the best thing I could do for myself. The last time I had mentioned it to her the conversation didn't go so well *LOL* The stastistics prove the benefits of WLS and in my humble opinion any medical professional who can't wrap their minds around the facts are just being stubborn. Best of luck to you and make sure you let us know what your PCP says.

Pat I bought some EAS low carbo or whatever it said, will try it tomorrow. From what I can tell it is ready out of the container to drink, chocolate. I think it has something like 17 g of Protein and very little sugar like 3 gr or maybe that was Carbs but it is the one you like. My question is can you drink that with a RNY ? I thought you cannot eat sugar at all with RNY. Wrong or no?

Sandie-The EAS brand protein drinks were one of the many shakes recommended by my surgeon and nutritionist for RNY patients. You got the right one, 3 grams of sugar is acceptable for RNY patients. According to the dietary guidelines I was given up to 5 grams of sugar per serving is acceptable.

Hi Sandie, I also started with the EAS, it is very good and very agreeable before and after my RnY. I moved on to a higher protien mix but it took me a while to find a brand I liked with lots of flavors. My suggestion is get what you need and what you like to carry you through to your surgery date but don't stock up on anything until after your surgery and you have had a chance to try some different kinds of protien shakes with your new pouch, our taste buds change and what was good before may not be as pleasant afterwards. :cool: Tom

Hi Sandie,

I just had the RNY three weeks ago and swear by the EAS shakes! :) I get all three flavors and have just started to add fruit as per my Dr.'s instructions (As with anything - check wwith your surgeon or nutritionist). Try the vanilla powder blended with a small piece of frozen banana and frozen strawberries - taste like a milkshake! and yes, you can have sugar but it is not suggested to further increase your weight loss and to keep it off further down the road. it also can lead to "dumping" which i understand is VERY uncomfortable. My brother had this sx approximately ten years ago, achieved his goal weight plus, and eats whatever he chooses - sugar included. But he does so in moderation! He does still have a sweet tooth but it much smaller these days! I wish you much luck and success!

Tom, I am going to get the flavors of EAS but then what was it that you found that was more protein and flavor? I do realize that everyone has differing taste buds and that it can change after surgery but just asking for reference sake.

Wanted to ask, Does EAS come in a powder or just single protein drinks? Wanted to update on my PCP, I wrote the letter of recommendation for the surgery and after some discussion she SIGNED IT, hooray!!!!!! I was suprised she did it without much cajoling.
I have some more questions- Hair Skin and Nails, has lots of vitamins and nutrients as does Flintstones complete chewable vitamins but does not have the iron so thought could I just do that and some Iron or do I do both? Also, is Hair, Skin, Nails chewable or how do you take it, I am asking those who take it instead of Biotin alone(It has 5000mcg of biotin in it ).

Hi Sandie, EAS does come in a powder, have gotten the vanilla ans chocolate flavors, I didn't think they were as good as the pre made, they just didn't thicken up very well but they have the protien we need tasted alright so that's all that matters. I have heard Hair Skin and Nails is a good supplament but check with your doctor or nutritionist, I was given a list of recomended vitamins from my bariatric center, I take my Iron seperately from my regular vitamins because that's what they told me to do. Congratulations on your doctor signing you off. :cool: Tom

Back