• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein protein what is good

BamaBaby

I have tried Unjury protein mix and love it!!! But, I'd like to know is there any thing on the shelves that taste good. I gag when it taste like vitamins. Unjury is great but, I think it might be costly, when they have something else that is cheaper out there at Walmart, Cvs, ect. Thanks for your help early, because I know you all are there for me and for others. Bless ya....Hugs

Hey, BamaBaby,

See what you can come up with for samples. You don't want to buy a bunch of stuff now, only to find you don't like it after surgery!

Synrtrax offers samples of their Nectar line. VitaLady offers a bunch of different samples.

What you will like is very personal. Go to someplace online, like Amazon, and see all the different brands and lines available for protein powders. It's pretty amazing. And another indicator of how personal someone's taste in product is.

I always mix a new product I'm trying with plain water. That says more about texture and flavor than mixing with juice or milk or something else. You can always mix it with something else later.

I've been good on the "Pure Protein" protein drinks with 35 grams of protein in each drink. They also have powder to mix in with smoothies, yogurt, oatmeal etc., and protein bars. They have a few flavors, but I am partial to the chocolate.

Hi Bama, Myoplex make a good protien drink that tastes god and is high in protien and low in carbs, it's available at most drugstors like Rit aid or walgreens and in the health food section in most grocery stores. :cool: Tom

I really like the Unjury which I buy from my Center, and the EAS advantEDGE from Walmart. The Unjury has 20 Grams of Protein which is what my Center wants and they do sell it at the Center so I don't have to pay shipping. I also like the fruit flavored clear protein drinks sold on this site although they only have 15 Grams of protein. Try to make sure you are getting whey protein. You can increase the protein content by mixing some flavors in skim milk. The EAS are nice because they are so handy and I always keep a few in the fridge. The American Bariatric Store right here also sells a protein powder that I haven't tried yet, but I have heard others say how good it is. Don't go overboard and buy a bunch, try some sample packs first to make sure you like them. Unjury.com can set you up with automatic shipping and offer discounts when you buy certain amounts. The store on this site (if I remember correctly) offers free shipping if your purchase is over 75 dollars. I love free shipping or no shipping. The nutritionist at my Center told us not to use things like Boost, Special K, Adkins, or Ensure. I know every Center is different and I do try to follow the directions I was given but I do use other products as well.

Joy

Thank you Joy, for the info. I did buy Unjury sample pack. Then order a can of the unflavored. I will check out the others. Thanks again. Hugs

I've gotten samples from Unjury and Nashua Nutrition. Picked up Opurity chewable bypass vitamins from Unjury. I also got the Unflavored container from Unjury-can add that to anything to up the protein. My center also talks about having the Carnation Instant Sugar Free Breakfast. You can boost it by adding protein powder to boost the protein content. You won't be able to take in alot of it anyway-it will take a while to drink as they tell me at my center at the beginning you will be lucky to take in 2 tablespoons at a sitting at a time due to the size of the pouch and it healing.
Glad I will be off 5-6 weeks so I can get my eating down pat.

Carol

Bama-EAS pre-made and Atkins are both good tasting. Just make sure you read the label carefully on the EAS because there is one that is high carb and you don't want to grab that one by mistake. If you like the EAS pre-made then you can buy yhe powder version which works out less expensive. Look at Walmart for the best price. Sometimes Walmart carries a 6 pack of Atkins for the price of a 4 pack so that's when you want to buy them. Neither one of these are inexpensive but when it comes to protein drinks you get what you pay for. Look at the bottom line of what you spend in a week on your protein drinks and other things compared to what you would spend pre-surgery.

Back