• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

question concerning water

slucas

I am trying to get in as much water as possible but I work 3rd shift in a lab. I get in 16 ozs in about 4 hours, then I have wait 30 min and have protein and then 30 minutes later I start drinking again. With the rest of my time before going to sleep I am getting another 16 to 24 ozs of water. Am I taking too long to drink 16oz? How are you getting it all in with all the 30 minutes before and after eating? As of now most of my protein is in the form of shots because I no longer like protein powder or shakes. It has only been 2 weeks and 4 days since my surgery. I would like my urine to go back to being clear. Thanks for any advice Susan

Hi Susan,

I carry a waterbottle with me at all times. I sip in the car, while walking, in the elevator, sitting at my desk, watching TV. From the time I get up until I go to bed I carry and sip, except for the time that I'm eating and of course the 30 minutes before and after. You're still early in your journey, you may not get all the water in, just do the best you can. It will come with time.

Frank

:cool:

It takes a while to work up to the needed amount of water. Just find something you enjoy and drink it. Like Frank said keep water with you at all times and sip, sip, sip.

The truth be known, while taking as many vitamins as we take the chances of our urine becoming perfectly clear is most unlikely. Work towards drinking as much water as you can but don't obsess about it, especially this early in the game. Just beware of dark brown urine, a sure sign of dehydration.

I was told there is no water restriction BEFORE meals. It's the drinking with meals that they don't want you to do because it flushes what you eat faster through your system.

My program says 30 minutes before and 30 to 45 after meals. The only time I have trouble with this is after a workout. I want something to drink and eat so I have to remind myself to choose one. :)

My surgeon and dietician advised me to drink all that I could up until I picked up my fork, then no fluids for 30 minutes after my last bite. I've been able to get the majority of my fluid in and not flush my protein out of my sleeve. Best advice? Call your surgeon and/or dietician and follow their recommendations. Just remember to sip, sip, sip! Good luck!

Back