• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

So much hair gone!

I know how you feel! I'm on the same boat! I feel like I don't have much left. Mine has been well over a month, I think going on two. I do take biotin but not sure it's doing any good. One day I gathered all that I lost in one day and I had an alarming amount. I haven't cut my hair since Covid started. I am wondering if it will look worse if I do. I'm not a hat person either. :confused: The picture of me to the left was maybe the halfway point of losing my hair and I wanted to take a picture of it before it got any worse. It is a lot thinner now. When I gather it all together it is so light.

OMG my hair started falling out last wed and I knew it was going to fall out but I did not expect it to be so much! How long does this phase last?? If it last a couple more weeks i legit will be completely bald!!! :(

This is the worst aspect of the surgery. Consume at least 60 grams of protein daily - take your vitamins - do whatever your surgical team suggests and wait it out. The good thing is that it's not necessarily permanent. You GOT this!

It was incredibly traumatic for me. I don't have any mirrors in my house except the one over my bathroom sink. I can't avoid it because that's where I wash my hands and brush my teeth. And I don't know why bathrooms are designed with overhead lights that seem to always be over the sink so you can see the top of your your head in detail. That was how I knew I had lost hair. The bright light could shine through my remaining hair and my scalp was so shiny it really stood out. It was like looking at one of those forests that had been logged off of most of its trees. I am extremely vain and overly concerned about my appearance so it was exacerbated by my emotional state. My hairdresser kept an eye on it and pointed out that I was growing hair back. It was like having a crew cut under my long hair. It's a bizarre reaction the body has to any major surgery.

I’m 15 weeks we are so close to each other...
I have noticed some hairs on my pillow etc. I have a ton of hair and when I get my hair done the hairdresser always thins my head all over. Yup it’s true. Lol so I guess she won’t be needing to do that for a bit. Are you losing clumps or just shedding? My dr said to take some extra biotin but I can’t because I have had laser hair removal and there is no way I want that hair to grow back...
but they did tell me about a shampoo that helps hair grow I will call the office tomorrow and get the name and post it.

It's not related to nutritional changes. It's just a thing that happens after a lot of major surgeries. Here's something someone said to explain it:

"This is called telogen effluvium. This is the most common form of hair loss and typically seen two to three months after a major body stress, such as major surgery, chronic illness, or significant infection. ... Hair may fall out from all parts of the scalp, and noticed on your pillow, shower/tub or on a hairbrush."

It's not related to nutritional changes. It's just a thing that happens after a lot of major surgeries. Here's something someone said to explain it:

"This is called telogen effluvium. This is the most common form of hair loss and typically seen two to three months after a major body stress, such as major surgery, chronic illness, or significant infection. ... Hair may fall out from all parts of the scalp, and noticed on your pillow, shower/tub or on a hairbrush."

Well looks like the 3 surgeries I had along with the sepsis is the culprit, and the time frame is right on. Thanks for the info Diane!

I also found this...
Telogen effluvium is the cause of hair loss in people who are losing weight at a fairly rapid pace. Weight loss is beneficial for those people that are carrying too much weight. Yet, rapid weight loss is a stress to the system. This stress will accelerate the hair growth cycle and telogen effluvium will result.May 23, 2017

Healthy Weight: Losing hair while losing pounds? Look to ...

So along with the stress from surgeries, sepsis and stress from rapid weight loss no wonder I am losing hair!

View attachment 3301
Why can't it fall off my armpits, legs, upper lip, lower back.... lol

Back