• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

So much hair gone!

Everyone has a different experience with hair loss and regrowth but my experience was that hair loss began around a year after surgery, lasted for about six months and then started growing back. And in my case it was barely noticeable. I have both fine and thin hair so I could not afford to lose any. you can check out my photo albums which are on my profile to see before and after pictures.

I had soooo much hair b4 surgery I am 10 months out and still losing some but I'm still dropping weight I'm down 140 lbs and have about 40 more to go b4 I hit goals ... Does the hair start growing back once the weight loss stops? I'm freaking out here its been falling out for months when does it stop!!
From what I hear it varies as to how long it lasts and how much. There is a very informative post on page 1 of this thread by Diane explaining more about it. Did you see it?

I just really started noticing it this weekend. I shave about 3/4 of my head so don't have a lot there but what I do have is very very thick. I dont know who is worse right now for shedding, me or the dogs...is a very close competition. I can remove it by the handle full and then when I look down my shirt is covered. I dont honestly mind losing some because of how thick my hair is but this is insane. The reason I shave most of my head is because of how much hair I have, how heavy/thick it gets on my head- no air and eventually when it was longer it was too much on my neck. Prior to covid growth the last 4 years what hair I have had I also kept to about 1/2" long max. Now since spring when they shut down hair places here I let it grow and its 3.5-4". I get it cut and thinned out every 3 weeks...guess I will be skipping the thinning.

Last edited:
I have thick coarse hair. I lost a lot of hair around post-op month 4-7. Felt noticeable to me but not to others. It has gone back to normal now at 9 months post- op. It thick and unruly again. I can’t wait until it’s safe to return to hair salons open again ;)
I’m actually looking forward to losing some of my hair. I have super thick hair and it gets sooo hot o_O drives me crazy!

This is what comes out multi times a day. Going to have to ask Santa for a wig

Attachments

• 20201213_182851.jpg
    20201213_182851.jpg
    876 KB · Views: 49
I know it can be worrisome to see the hair fall out as I have been there, but for me I wasn't going to dwell on it. Getting a wig can be a fun, temporary solution until the hair starts growing back again.

I wonder if they have a mowhawk wig? thats literally the only place I have hair as I shave all the rest off.

I know it can be worrisome to see the hair fall out as I have been there, but for me I wasn't going to dwell on it. Getting a wig can be a fun, temporary solution until the hair starts growing back again.
I also considered a wig, but it improved at around a year out and is now back to normal. I still take biotin, use olaplex shampoo and conditioner and keep it a little shorter.

I’ve been experiencing lots of hair loss too. I can’t believe how much hair I’ve lost. My hair is fine and was thick and every time I wash my hair, clumps of hair fall out. I’m going to reach out to my surgeon’s office and ask my registered dietitian for advice. I may ask about biotin supplements.

I’ve been experiencing lots of hair loss too. I can’t believe how much hair I’ve lost. My hair is fine and was thick and every time I wash my hair, clumps of hair fall out. I’m going to reach out to my surgeon’s office and ask my registered dietitian for advice. I may ask about biotin supplements.
I do take Biotin and still had the hair loss but maybe it will help in regrowth.

That's a human hair wig I got at a thrift store for $11! Can you believe it? It's actually similar to my true hair color. It feels weird to wear a wig but sometimes I wear it just to see what people will say at places I hang out. Once, no could recognize me!
Wow!!!! Human hair wigs are very expensive, so you sure got a bargain. And the fact that is close to your own hair color is really cool! The two wigs that I got were Paula Young wigs which if you shop their sales you can get a pretty good deal. I bought the heat resistant synthetic fibers that you can style if you chose to do so.

I haven't been to thrift stores or consignment shops in a while. If Covid wasn't a problem, I would have fun searching for clothes as I lose weight. And it's always fun to find a cool surprise item there like you did with the wig!

My hair is finally falling out in droves! I think I’ll get a chin length bob with layers and bangs to hide my hairline. I can’t take anymore biotin than what’s in my multivitamin, but I’m getting my protein everyday, so I know that will help and it won’t last forever.

Back