• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Starting liquid Diet

ascooke63

My Liquid diet pre-surgery begins Monday. Anybody want to share the dos and don'ts what makes it easier? I'm planning on 3 protein shakes a day with jello, soup, and popsicles in between. My preimer Shakes have 120 cals and 23 grams of protien. My nutritionist said at least 800 cals 60 to 80 grams of protein and 64 0z of fluid per day i think ill hit all except cals. They said in my pre-op class that if you get to day 4 it gets easier, has that been anyone elses expierence? How about those that have been through it all ready Did you ease in to it by slowing down your eating a few days before it? or Did you eat all you could or wanted up till the end of the last day? How did that work for you?

Ascooke-I enjoyed 2 of my favorite meals the week before surgery and just ate normally. For me the first three days were the hardest. I was allowed full liquids until the last 2 days. Full liquids included things like pudding, hot cereals, applesauce, instant mashed potatoes, cooked and raw non-starchy vegetables, milk and tomato juice. Being able to eat hot cereals and instant potatoes was what kept me on track. 2 days before surgery was everything as the previous days except no raw veggies and the day before surgery was clear liquids only. Nothing after midnight the night before surgery which made it a little difficult the morning of surgery because I was very thirsty. I found that rinsing my mouth with watter then spitting it out help tremendously. They even let me contine rinsing and spitting during my pre-op preparation. My surgery was scheduled for 7 AM but they changed it to 11:30 AM. The extra time waiting made me a little anxious so they gave me a shot in my IV line to help me relax but it also made me feel more thirsty *LOL*

My full liquids mean nothing with a greater consistency than milk, no cerael, applesauce, mashed potatoes etc. not even pudding. Just jello, soup, popsicles, protein shakes and water crystal light etc. We are supposed to stay away from acidic stuuff like orange juice, tomatoes etc, But thanks for the input.

hi ASCOOKE63 happy to hear your surgery date is fast approaching, been a long wait I know. did your sis get her date yet? I don't think any of us liked the liquid diet, for we're all used to foods, but in the long run all of it will be worth it. I will be honest, I 've had days where i've asked myself"WHY DiD YOU DO THIS TO YOURSELF"? but when I can look at scale and see it's moving and from 3 years ago when I started trying to loose weight on my own til this past week the scale is now 100 pounds less, i lost 25 before surgery and 33 more since surgery date of 9-20-12. so it feels good that clothes are too big now and can finally wear a pair of jeans and they have zipper and button no elastic, YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I still want to loose another 60 pounds and I will, I know it will take time and my healing process will improve more and more each day, it's no walk in the picnic at first, the nauseau and dry heaves etc have thrown me a few curve balls and still trying to adjust to eating a few bites and the body say's
that's it your done, hope the small appetitie never goes away cause I NEVER want to go back to where I was ever again. everyday you learn a little more about your body and what it will accept in your new system as it adjust, still trying to get the protein in and that's a big issue, and it's true, your taste buds change for sure. I used to love water now I can barely stand it, no longer like my coffee and so many other things, maybe in time those things will come back to me. still drink water just not gallons like before.
please keep us posted how your doing and how surgery and all is going for you, will pray for a speedy recovery for you.
Donna

Hi Ascooke, your pre op diet is much like mine was, I did fine and it did get easier but I will have to say that the last 24 hours was the worst for me, it was a clear liquid diet and no protien shake, I had to clean out my bowels and it wa swater broth and crystal light and nothing after midnight, I drank so much brothe that night up until midnight. it was crazy but I just told myself it will all be worth it, and it was:eek: You will do fine, so hang in there and remember why you are doing this. :cool: Tom

Back