• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

surgery on the 7th

the spa guy

I know this works but really how good? What is the average weight loss per week, month, year? Will I be able to gulp water if I'm really thirsty. These are questions I have that nobody seems to ever answer I know were all different but its a worry.Also since there are no guys on here I'm counting on you ladies to help me out. Thank you.

I know this works but really how good? What is the average weight loss per week, month, year? Will I be able to gulp water if I'm really thirsty. These are questions I have that nobody seems to ever answer I know were all different but its a worry.Also since there are no guys on here I'm counting on you ladies to help me out. Thank you.

No you will not be able to gulp water. That would be a huge mistake. You end up trapping air in your stomach and that becomes very painful. so don't try it. Sip, wait, burp, sip wait, burp.

Average weight loss? I should ask what surgery you are having. It differs based on surgery. I had the gastric by-pass. I am down 50 pounds already and dropping.

You will have weight plateaus. Some folks reported plateaus right up front 1 to 2 weeks post op. Others, like myself around week 4 or so my weight loss stopped for about 9 days, then resumed again.

Just follow the guidelines. Don't push intake. Do make sure you get your required protein intake each day; this is so critical. It helps to make sure the weight loss is fat and not muscle. It also negates hunger, etc., etc.

I am post op going on 7 weeks now and I haven't been hungry yet.

Good luck,

Ralph

Ralph thanks for your reply I am having the gastric by-pass done. I would be lying if I said I'm not having second thoughts. I've come to realize I really enjoy food. I know things will change for me, but it looks like a big change. I am really happy to hear that you've lost 50 lbs that must be relieving. What proteins do you suggest I should get and should I stock up on them now?

Ralph thanks for your reply I am having the gastric by-pass done. I would be lying if I said I'm not having second thoughts. I've come to realize I really enjoy food. I know things will change for me, but it looks like a big change. I am really happy to hear that you've lost 50 lbs that must be relieving. What proteins do you suggest I should get and should I stock up on them now?

Hello,

We all enjoyed food. We can STILL enjoy food. However, not in the quantities we used to do so.

I just returned from a full week vacation in New Orleans with a whole lot of time spent in the French Quarter. So what do you do in New Orleans? You party! My wife and I went with friends. We had a blast. We ate at many fine places. So what did I have. Forget about southern fried food. Whenever I ordered, I ordered a special preparation such as plain grilled chicken lightly seasoned or a medium rarer filet mignon. At Commander's Palace I had turtle soup and chicken. I had a sample of the bread pudding soufflé. I managed to enjoy all the tastes and stay within my 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup total quantity at each meal.

You don't drink and eat at the same time. So, I had sips of cranberry juice ( one night I even added a shot of vodka in a tall cranberry) before the meal. The turtle soup was delicious the bread pudding (all one bite of it) was outrageous and so on and so forth.

Then we went over to Coops, a drinking establishment. I was the designated driver and I watched my wife and two friends get polluted/pleasantly high while I sucked on a cranberry juice or pineapple juice. I could have added a shot of vodka to it, but I was the designated driver and alcohol gets to you quickly post op.

So there you go, life does work after surgery. As time progresses I will be able to consume a bit more too based on everything I understand. However, I am enjoying the health benefits much more than the "losses" of overeating fantastic food.

So protein products, yes stock up. I ordered Isopure grape flavored from Amazon. I also went to Costco and bought Premier Protein Shakes (vanilla) by the case. Also, go to bariatric advantage and order up your chewable calcium and chewable multi-vitamin. Have all this in stock.

I haven't gotten around to protein whey powder, but I will soon. This can be added to cereals such as oatmeal (which I make with the Premier Protein Shake) and assure you get the protein required.

Generally, I have 30grams of protein via the shake. I manage to do the rest (50g) with eggs, milk and meats at our limited quantities.

The most important thing is to get the 80 grams of protein everyday. Secondly, drink as much liquid as you can up to the recommended 8 glasses of water a day. It doesn't have to be all water. I have a couple of glasses of milk each day, which is liquid and also some protein. I also have apple juice during the day rather than water. I also have water. I have the juice to get some more calories in. Don't be concerned by the lack of calories. You are challenged to get 800 to a 1000 calories per day in at the beginning.

Eventually, you will be able to consume more foods (post op a couple of months or more) and get up to 1200 calories easily. Right now, I average between 800 to 1000 calories a day; sometimes less; rarely more.

Hope I have helped.

Ralph

Thank you you have been very helpful you've answered a lot of my questions. Your trip sounds like you had a blast. Is it hard to only eat a bite of something? Do you want more or does that feeling go away right away? Do you crave food like you used to? Thats my worry I think I'll be still wanting the food but cant eat it. well anyways thank you. James

No cravings and no hunger. That has been my experience.

A lot of that has to do with getting the required amount of protein into your diet. This satiates any appetite you may have.

Now don't get me wrong. Sometimes you may hear the belly gurgle or groan. I am not sure if that is the old belly now detached or the new pouch. It doesn't matter to me. They are simply sounds. They are not hunger.

Hope I have helped.

Believe me when I tell you that you will NOT be able to eat very much post op.

Ralph

Welcome to the forum spa guy. There are several great men contributors to this forum, and I see you met Ralph already. I don't know how long you've been planning this, but it looks like your surgery is coming up pretty soon. I hope you've done your research and analyzed your commitment. This is not something to be done lightly or on a whim.
We all loved food. That's why we're in the shape we're in. But if you really think about it, what is it that you'll miss? Cookies, cakes, chips, sodas, ice cream? Those aren't food. Those are artificial creations produced and marketed by people who don't have our best interests in mind. Consuming those things is killing us as a nation as obesity stats rise higher and even our children are getting diabetes before puberty.
You will still have "head hunger" which is wanting something for reasons other than hunger or necessity. You will have to decide how to handle it. Some people give in and reverse all weight loss and even gain it all back. Some people allow themselves a bite of something they shouldn't have, and are satisfied. Some people avoid their triggers altogether. You will have to decide how to handle head hunger if you decide to go through with the surgery.
I have only had a few bad days in the 10 weeks since my surgery of craving something I shouldn't have. And the craving is not very strong and easily put aside by saying "well, I'll work on my bills now and if I still want it in an hour, I'll have it". But I never want it in an hour. This is way different than before surgery, where I would always give in to the craving.
40% of WLS patients are successful after 5 years of maintaining weight loss. That's a better statistic than dieting, but still a sobering statistic. That means that 60% don't maintain the weight loss. That's not to say that they gain all of the weight back. And there are still many, many health and life style benefits to losing even part of your excess weight.

You shouldn't be hungry, especially at first because your tummy will be super tiny and just a little bit of food makes you feel like you ate a feast at Thanksgiving dinner. You will be very full. Just don't stretch your stomach out by forcing food into your tiny tummy when youre really full to the max. Follow your doctor's advice and every week you will progress through different food stages, don't jump ahead, there are reasons that you have to wait to eat certain foods. You don't want to stretch out or tear your new pouch. You being a guy should lose your weight faster than us girls.. lol. Good Luck!!! :)

Karenina Cheyenne Thank you for your advise these are things I do think about. I dont really crave all the junk foods I always liked good stuff like lasagna and porter house steaks but I do know it will change I just wonder if I'll still crave that stuff? I thank you for explaining more of the head hunger to me because I feel thats what most of my problem has been. Thank you guys James

Karenina Cheyenne Thank you for your advise these are things I do think about. I dont really crave all the junk foods I always liked good stuff like lasagna and porter house steaks but I do know it will change I just wonder if I'll still crave that stuff? I thank you for explaining more of the head hunger to me because I feel thats what most of my problem has been. Thank you guys James

Hi James,
Eventually in time there will be nothing wrong with eating porter house steak or even lasagna once in awhile. They are nutritious foods, however you would want to make possibly 3 or 4 meals from your old portion amount depending on the size of your steak or lasagna. Your hunger will be satisfied when your tummy is full and it will fill up fast. If you measure your food you can't go wrong. Getting your protein in is super important so the steak will be a much better choice for you on a regular basis than the lasagna... Cheyenne

Hi Spa Guy and welcome aboard...

I am 3 days shy of being 1 month post R-N-Y.. I am currently averaging 3 to 5 pounds a week.
I have found following your Surgeons and Dieticians guidelines helps a lot as well as walking and exercising.
I am at the point where I am eating soft foods such as chicken, chili, ham, green bean, broccoli, salmon, pork roast, mashed potatoes(1 Tbls. is more than enough), quinoa, and such. My big thing is making sure I have well seasoned my food.

You will find that you really do not physically crave food. In my case it has been more boredom related than anything when I want to eat.
I now have to remember to eat daily.

When you are reading others posts, Make sure you look under their name to see what procedure they have had.
Each procedure has its own set of nuisances unique to a particular procedure.
What a sleeve may experience may be similar but not the same.

Ralph is the Big Daddy of the R-N-Y / Gastric Bypass. He is very helpful and knowledgeable.

Good luck to you...

I am learning just like everyone else

Hi Spa Guy and welcome aboard...

I am 3 days shy of being 1 month post R-N-Y.. I am currently averaging 3 to 5 pounds a week.
I have found following your Surgeons and Dieticians guidelines helps a lot as well as walking and exercising.
I am at the point where I am eating soft foods such as chicken, chili, ham, green bean, broccoli, salmon, pork roast, mashed potatoes(1 Tbls. is more than enough), quinoa, and such. My big thing is making sure I have well seasoned my food.

You will find that you really do not physically crave food. In my case it has been more boredom related than anything when I want to eat.
I now have to remember to eat daily.

When you are reading others posts, Make sure you look under their name to see what procedure they have had.
Each procedure has its own set of nuisances unique to a particular procedure.
What a sleeve may experience may be similar but not the same.

Ralph is the Big Daddy of the R-N-Y / Gastric Bypass. He is very helpful and knowledgeable.

Good luck to you...

Thank you for your great remarks. However, I am learning just like everyone else.

Glad I can help wherever I can.

Ralph

Hey Spa Guy, congrats on the upcoming surgery. I'm glad to hear your having second thoughts and some doubt, if you didn't I'd be worried. This is a monumental step you are taking, but one well worth it. I had RNY on Oct 17 2012 and I'm now down to 201, down 191 from my all time high and 186 from my presurgery weight. I'd like to say that there are averages, but there really aren't, each of us is different. Try not to compare yourself to others, just track your downward progress. If you follow the plan from your Doctor and Nutritionist, I guarantee that you will lose weight. I am now able to "gulp" a mouthful at a time, which is a lot more than a zip. You will go through lots of changes, as for enjoying food, you still can, just remember that food is only fuel for your body. You, like most of us, need to find other ways to deal with the stresses of life. I do it by running, something I couldn't do for almost 20 years. There are some of us guys out here, so take heart.

Frank

:cool:

Thanks Frank You give me some hope. I cant believe how awesome your doing. I hope I can say the same our numbers seem pretty close. Frank do you feel a night and day difference in the way your body feels? I constantly feel like everything I do I'm doing it with a 200 lbs person on my back and my feet and knees are feeling it.

Thank you Stinkerbelle, just giving back what others on here gave me. SpaGuy, that is how I felt, couldn't walk across the building where I work without huffing and puffing. My grandson used to say I waddled like a penguin when I walked, now he calls me Skinny Grandpa. As you start walking more and more after surgery, your energy levels will go up and you'll want to do more. Wait until the first time you try to run. What a feeling of pure freedom. Oh and you'll see parts of you sag that you didn't think could sag. I was doing planks in the gym one day and I hung my head and noticed that my knees were saggy. I started laughing so hard that the poor girl next to me asked what was wrong. All I could get out was "Saggy Knees", she thought I was absolutely nuts. Probably was at that point, but it was so funny, I never expected saggy knees. This is a journey that will have all kinds of ups and downs, stick with it, it is worth the ride.

Frank

Thank you Stinkerbelle, just giving back what others on here gave me. SpaGuy, that is how I felt, couldn't walk across the building where I work without huffing and puffing. My grandson used to say I waddled like a penguin when I walked, now he calls me Skinny Grandpa. As you start walking more and more after surgery, your energy levels will go up and you'll want to do more. Wait until the first time you try to run. What a feeling of pure freedom. Oh and you'll see parts of you sag that you didn't think could sag. I was doing planks in the gym one day and I hung my head and noticed that my knees were saggy. I started laughing so hard that the poor girl next to me asked what was wrong. All I could get out was "Saggy Knees", she thought I was absolutely nuts. Probably was at that point, but it was so funny, I never expected saggy knees. This is a journey that will have all kinds of ups and downs, stick with it, it is worth the ride.

Frank

Hey Frank,

I am a novice compared to where you are in your journey.

I love your stories. Keep telling them.

My wife is wondering where all the sags will happen.

I know alledgedly that men's skin seem to contract more easily than ladies. However, I do expect to see some leftover skin (sagging knees too much !! ) , underarms, chin and belly as the weight comes off. I don't know if it will ever tighten up sufficiently. So be it.

Ralph

Frank that sounds so awesome I can hardly wait for my surgery. I had my pre op appointment and registered with the hospital yesterday. It looks like its happening. I would love to be able to run again. shoot just walk a few stairs with ease or tie my shoes with out hyper ventilating. You definitely give me some inspiration so I thank you.
James

Back