• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

surgery on the 7th

Ralph, you mentioned a calorie goal of 800-1200 calories a day. I eat 1200 calories a day now, before my surgery and am still overweight. Am I going to have to make a goal of 600 or less, in order to reach my goal weight of 130?

No you will not be able to gulp water. That would be a huge mistake. You end up trapping air in your stomach and that becomes very painful. so don't try it. Sip, wait, burp, sip wait, burp.

Average weight loss? I should ask what surgery you are having. It differs based on surgery. I had the gastric by-pass. I am down 50 pounds already and dropping.

You will have weight plateaus. Some folks reported plateaus right up front 1 to 2 weeks post op. Others, like myself around week 4 or so my weight loss stopped for about 9 days, then resumed again.

Just follow the guidelines. Don't push intake. Do make sure you get your required protein intake each day; this is so critical. It helps to make sure the weight loss is fat and not muscle. It also negates hunger, etc., etc.

I am post op going on 7 weeks now and I haven't been hungry yet.

Good luck,

Ralph

WOW fifty pounds in 7 weeks! I am down 60 in 6 months

Ralph, you mentioned a calorie goal of 800-1200 calories a day. I eat 1200 calories a day now, before my surgery and am still overweight. Am I going to have to make a goal of 600 or less, in order to reach my goal weight of 130?

Actually, there is NO calorie goal. Do not worry about calories. Make sure you get your 60grams of protein each day. Make sure you drink your fluids. These are the two goals to focus on. In fact, in the early go it is very difficult to really consume very much.

Again, there is not calorie goal; especially now. However, as time goes on and we progress down the timeline my Doctors want me to stay within 1200 calories per day. As I said I usually consume about 800-1200 calories a day right now depending on the day and how things go. Many times I don't get much more than 800 in.

Oh good, I was beginning to worry about something new! I'm already a bundle of nerves with surgery scheduled for Monday, 1/6.

WOW fifty pounds in 7 weeks! I am down 60 in 6 months

Hey don't get hung up on how each of us is doing. The key is DOWN 60 IN 6 MONTHS. When was the last time you could say that?

Right now, I am still down 52 pounds but now it is 9 weeks. I am in a weight plateau. SO WHAT !! I am DOWN 52 POUNDS! I haven't been able to say that for a long time. I am at a weight that I have seen since the 1990s or even a bit earlier.

I know by following the guidelines and not exceeding 1200 calories in any one day as a ground rule I will continue to lose weight over the long run. I am not worried about it at all. Wherever I end up weight wise will be fine. Whatever my weight is a year to a year and a half from now will be fine.

Weight is one measurement. Just to remind myself and help others to understand here are the other measurements and successes I am experiencing at this time:

Off of 2 of my 4 blood pressure meds with blood pressure typically below 110/70. Can't remember ever being this low.

My resting pulse rate has dropped from high 60s ( I do take bystolic 10mg) down to around 50-52. I probably need to reduce my dose on the bystolic to 5mg. I am about to do so. I am not sure I will ever get off this med completely since it is essential to regulating heartbeat. I am not sure further weight loss will solve my mild tacacardia if and when I have any caffeine or a bit too much alcohol. Alcohol has been off my agenda now for some time with the one exception of a single shot of vodka in my cranberry juice while we were vacationing in New Orleans a few weeks back.

My waistline is down to 44 from 54 measured around the belly button; NOT BELOW THE BELLY!

My feet are no longer swollen. I have been able to get back into my dancing boots ( we love country dancing) and also my dress shoes that I haven't been able to wear for over a year now.

I no longer have an incontinence issue. I had prostate cancer back in 2009. I had it removed. This resulted in my need to wear depends if I wasn't going to be in an area where I could bolt to a bathroom real quick. This is no longer an issue. I am guessing with all the weight loss that my bladder has a bit more room to expand sort of speak.

I can dance, dance, and dance again without getting winded! I can walk up hills and not have to stop and rest a couple of times.

So many ways to measure success.

I will give you one huge success that I enjoyed this New Years Eve at a party. We went out to a country new years eve party. There are lots of line dances and lots of couple dances. My wife and I danced plenty of couple dances now that I can and she can (she had a total knee replacement 6 months ago). Then when the "copperhead rose" came on ( a high aerobic line dance) I got up and proceeded to dance the entire dance again; something I haven't done in over 3 years or more now. At the end of the dance not less than 6 people on the floor came running over to me and said "wow we didn't know you can line dance" you were terrific! Want to swell my head a bit more!

So down 60 pounds in 6 months is fantastic. But what about all those other achievements. Go ahead BRAG A LITTLE!

Hey Jim, I see your surgery is on Tuesday, Please let us know how you're doing. Would love to hear from you prior to the surgery. Be sure to take a few before surgery photos. In the pic below the before was the day of my surgery, Oct 17, 2012, the other was in December 9th of 2013.

1005032_10152069564244906_822545766_n.jpg

Oh my goodness, Frank!!! WOW!!!

You look so great! What AWESOME before and after pictures!!! :eek:

Cheyenne. :cool:

Thanks Frank for asking how I am. I am a little nervous but excited too. I check in to the hospital in 10 hours I'm praying all goes well. I will take before and after photos I promise. I really want to thank everyone that has given me advise. Oh ya Frank sorry but go Niners! I'll talk to everyone soon.

Good luck with your surgery today. I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way. Sorry but Go Panthers!

Frank

:cool:

Good surgery wishes, have a great operation. And yeah! 49's kinda sorry Frank, but not really...heeheehee, oh sorry for that Frank....realllly I am..

Hi James,
Eventually in time there will be nothing wrong with eating porter house steak or even lasagna once in awhile. They are nutritious foods, however you would want to make possibly 3 or 4 meals from your old portion amount depending on the size of your steak or lasagna. Your hunger will be satisfied when your tummy is full and it will fill up fast. If you measure your food you can't go wrong. Getting your protein in is super important so the steak will be a much better choice for you on a regular basis than the lasagna... Cheyenne
Speaking of lasagna, I made a chicken and spinach lasagna yesterday WITHOUT the noodles and it tastes great! I'm wondering what the noodles are for, cause the recipe is fine without them. Only 109 calories per 2 oz serving.

Ok surgery was successful I'm still in the hospital. When do the gas pains go away? I've been doing great walking coughing and breathing. Just this gas pain has got to go. I should be going home today.

Ok surgery was successful I'm still in the hospital. When do the gas pains go away? I've been doing great walking coughing and breathing. Just this gas pain has got to go. I should be going home today.

The more you walk and drink the better it will get..
It took about a week for me for the gas "pain" to get better.
Once the anesthesia clears your system and your body is responding better the gas pain gets better. Mind you the anesthesia slows things down for a week or so, just keep moving.
Once you have a BM that will help as well.. It will most likely be more gassy than anything.

Sorry if that is TMI.

Yes, gas pain goes away after a week or so. I had a pain up in my left shoulder from gas. It was trapped. I also apparently had a gas bubble "trapped" somehow in my pouch. It wasn't until I had my one and only dumping incident that I felt a whole lot better afterward and now I can drink and eat more easily without getting such tremendous discomfort.

However, as I am saying now and will continue to say, journal everything, measure everything you consume. Make sure you get your 80 grams of protein. Now, since you are just a few days post op it will take you a few weeks probably to get back up to 80grams of protein. However, once you pass the 4 week mark you should be able to enjoy soft foods, consume 80grams of protein ( I still use Isopure and Premier protein shakes for about 1/2 of my protein needs) and stay below 1200 calories a day.

Good luck,

Ralph

I can't even think about eating I can barely sip anything right now I sure hope it gets easier. At this point a solid good night sleep would be great. What was weird was coming out of surgery I felt so sick all I wanted was a drink of water. As I laid there I was thinking I needed to eat a burger or something's no way that was going to happen.

I can share with you what helped me tremendously...

Sit straight and sip on a cup of hot tea.

Keep in mind your new ouch is and will be swollen for a while so take it slow and easy. Have a variety of liquids to sip on and don't be afraid to ask for an ice pop if you feel like you can tolerate them..

The hospital should help with Rx's

I can't even think about eating I can barely sip anything right now I sure hope it gets easier. At this point a solid good night sleep would be great. What was weird was coming out of surgery I felt so sick all I wanted was a drink of water. As I laid there I was thinking I needed to eat a burger or something's no way that was going to happen.

I do hope they gave you something for your nausea. I didn't have any issues with this myself, but many people do.

Also, don't be afraid to ask for pain killers. They give you some pretty good stuff and off to la la land you go!

Back