• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The "Least We Forget Exercise"

Dcepello

Yesterday I had to transport some items from work to home. Since I am on foot and would have had to wait for the next day and bring my car; I decided to load everything in my backpack. I estimate it was about forty pounds of junk approximately 2/3 of the weight I had lost through WLS. At first it wasn't so bad but as I walked I became acutely aware of the extra strain on my back, hips, knee's and feet. The mile walk home which had become such a breeze for me had become a struggle. The extra exertion left me exhausted. This made me think of all the strain I had on my heart and joints when I was carrying the full sixty pounds before WLS. This was a real eye opener for me and a worthwhile reminder for me of why I decided to have the surgery in the first place. For me it was never about the cosmetic benefits (which are nice of course), it was about going into my senior years healthier and better able to deal with the challenges ahead. I still have sixty pounds to lose in this first part of my journey, a journey which will last till the end of my life. The weight I have lost pales in comparison to what some of you have accomplished. But I recommend for anyone who is struggling or losing faith to fill a backpack with the weight you have lost or plan to lose and carry it around for a day or for a hour, and see what you are missing or going to miss.

Last edited:
Dcepello

What an inspiring post. You are doing so great!
I have to tell you today I walked 1.75 miles and it was great. Not a month ago a block kicked my but and it feels awesome to be moving.
Keep up the good work and thanks for the post

Dennis, heck of a post. I am not going to try to carry an extra 130 pounds with me. Been there, done that and don't want to do it again. Yesterday I ran 3.2 miles for the first time in 17 years and I felt great. Granted it was very slow, but at 55 what do you expect? After that I mowed my grass and what took an hour and a half last summer, took 55 minutes. I was amazed, not only how quickly, but also that I wasn't soaked to the bone, a bit warm.

Frank

:cool:

I know I need to exercise but have such terrible problems with lower body arthritis in hips, knees and feet that it is extremely difficult for me. Am eagerly awaiting for the pool to get a bit warmer and then I will swim for an hour every day and in some cases twice a day. I have my size 16 swim suit purchased and ready to go (down from a size 22) I expect the next 50 pounds to start to go away. I am hoping that I will be able to dance as the rest comes off, I am close to being able to again so see it as an obtainable goal. Good luck to all and exercise is certainly part of the solution.

Thanks for the reminder. Every time I can walk up the stairs, or up hills a little faster and without having to stop to catch my breathe I just say thank you. The surgery can't take away all the pains, but it has given me the motivation to want to do more. Congratulations on your progress.

Back