• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The Reality of our Choices - Do it right or Die

Letrell

Hello, Everyone. Letrell here.

I haven't been posting on here in a long time...part very busy, part just reading, and part because I became lazy.

I have always been one that would read a post; when someone whines I would say knock it off (in so many words). We are responsible for our choices. Our reality... OUR reality ... is that our choices or lack thereof can kill us.

I send well-wishes from my hospital bed; I've been here all week, most thankful to even be alive.

On Easter I fell. Two days later I could not walk. My legs were jello. My muscles were almost nothing. After a night in ER, it was determined I injured my spine and the physician had to figure out why it affected my legs so badly. Test after test after test...nothing. Three weeks later, I was able to walk without limping. I was able to climb 2 stairs without help. My thighs were jello; but I was okay.

On Monday, I stood up at my desk and went down. I had no legs. They weren't tingling, they weren't numb, they were just not working. By mid afternoon I was admitted and on a potassium IV. I was lucky. No...I was blessed. I was blessed to have been in a hospital that had a physician that understands what the body needs to survive. The way he put it to me was simple: "Your potassium level is impressively low."

Back-stepping a year. I hate taking vitamins. I hate drinking protein. I absolutely HATE liquid potassium. So have I been taking them the past year? Nope. Why should I? I'm thin now. I don't over-eat (I barely eat). Every so often I take vitamins. Liquid potassium is just gross. I don't have to drink it! LOL. Right. The proper response...I didn't CHOOSE to drink it.

My potassium level on Monday was 1.5. Look it up. I was a breath away from heart failure and as it was described in gross detail, my muscles were preparing to "explode". I was paralyzing my legs. No wait...I did paralyze my legs.

I can not express how very thankful I am for this second chance. I sit here awaiting release. My level is still low (2.7). But I am okay now. Three days of a 24 hour potassium drip along with liquid potassium has saved my life.

So why am I posting now? To knock some sense into everyone!!!!

No more excuses. No more, "I don't like it", "It doesn't taste good", "I can't find what I want", "I get sick when I eat that", "I get sick when I drink that". Well, friends...so flippin what? The reality of not taking vitamins, of not drinking protein, of not drinking potassium is simple. Don't want to do it? Don't. Just make sure your house is in order. Be kind to those around you and pay for the cemetery plot now. Don't make others clean up your messes. The reality of our choices is simple...do it right, or die. It may not be tomorrow or in a week or a month or even a year; but make no mistake, your body needs the vitamins and minerals. Your body needs the foods you are told to eat. Your body MUST HAVE IT. Choose not to give it what it needs and you are choosing death.

If anyone...ANYONE... wants to chat, I am here for you. But don't come to me expecting me to coddle and say it's okay to not do this or this. You won't get it from me. I understand how hard it is. I understand not wanting to. I understand the pain of the heart and mind. I understand the tears. I understand because I've lived it all. I understand the joy of losing over 200 lbs. and everything that comes with the loss. I truly, truly understand. And I care so very much for each and every one of you to be honest and give everything I can to help you. I do understand all of it....but I have one up on you all... I now understand near death from my choices. I now understand what happens when we don't do what we have to do to stay healthy and live. I didn't go through all of this to die anyway.

I want to live. I want to love. I want to give.

Take your pills. Drink the crap. Exercise. And tell those around you how very much you love them.

You never know when it will all come to an end.

Thanks for the wake-up call. Like a friend of mine said once, "we're not dealing with the common cold"-- this is some serious stuff we put our bodies through.

Thank you so much for sharing your horrific experience. You are right..WE made the choice to have the surgery and we also agreed to follow doctors orders and if we dont.... Sucks to be you and your loved ones! I hope your back to 100% soon!

Thank you for your replies. I don't know if people are reading this and I am desperate to get this out to all. I think I scared everyone....usually people post to my comments. LOL. Guess reality hurts too much.

Thank you for your support. I'm out of the hosp now. Potassium is up to 2.67; enough that I can run around town and not cause too much trouble. LOL. But I do have to have blood tests everyday for a while. Ick. My arms look horrible. Bruising looks nasty and quite frankly, my arms are sore. A small price to pay, I guess, for my stupidity.

Please....everyone...take your vitamins. If you are unsure of where you stand, call your nutritionist or your surgeon's office. Keep it current and watch carefully.

I was looking at y'alls profiles. All 3 of you are doing GREAT! CALQ and Karenina, I can't imagine losing so much weight pre-surgery. Very impressive! And Dennis, nice job all round. I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences, Dreamz.

This is a huge thing we are all doing. I wish everyone that is trying it...those that are preparing for it...those that are fighting to maintain...and those right in the middle of it all, nothing but the best! Life is too sweet. It's worth the sacrificing!

Have a great weekend..all of you.

Letrell

Thanks for sharing your story!! Even though those of us reading your post find your experience terrifying, we need the reality check of what CAN happen if we make poor choices. Sometimes it's far too easy to become complacent about how we think we're doing! Best wishes to you!!

Thank you for your honesty Letrell and the warning. I'm glad that you are doing better and I hope you make a full recovery. It should be a wake up call for all of us. I'll get better about the vitamins!

Letrell, those were some of the most powerful words I've read on this or any board. I am so happy that you are up and about. I finally got around to taking my vitamins at about month 4, but am now very regular about it. I'm printing out your warning and posting it in my home office, to constandly remind me to do what needs to be done, regardless of whether or not I like it. You are truly an inspiration and a hero of mine.

Frank

:cool:

I can't believe I missed this when you first posted.

Jolted me enough to set alarms to work on the habit now. I had been doing well and tapered down but most definitely yeah

Hi Letrell I know you posted some time ago and hope you are continuing to get healthier each day. I have followed your posts since I joined the site and wondered how you were doing. I know your low weight was concerning to some and I thank you for posting the other side of this illness. I think we hear so much about the regain and those type of struggles. You are so right the surgery is drastic and the aftercare imperative to good health. Please take care of you. Sending you grace today. Your input here is very important. Thanks for sharing.

Very good thread. Everyone should read this at least once.

Personally, I don't find crushing pills as a problem. I mix them with applesauce. I even put them straight into my mouth and chew them up and swallow with a little apple juice too.

Yes, a slightly bitter test for some of them. Yes, a chalky taste with others. So WHAT!

As a diabetic I have been taking KLOR-CON (large dose of potassium) for years since I also use a diuretic. No big deal.

Live with it or as the post says "DIE!"

Ralph

Back