• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

bruise

mergatroid

I am one week post op now and feeling fine, if you call being tired and sore, fine, but hey, I'll take that over what some of you have gone through. Anyway...When I came home from the hospital I noticed a little bruising around one of the incisions. It's on my lower left belly. I could tell it might develop into a bigger bruise. Boy was I ever right! It is now about 4 inches high and 7 inches long! It is also an ugly mean dark purple patch! It's kind of in the shape of a hand, if you use your imagination, like the Doc may have been pushing REALLY hard there. I don't know if that's the case, just my opinion. So, although I am not to worried about it, my hubby was shocked to see how it's progressed this morning and told me to "ask your people" about it.

I'm glad you're home and doing well. That bruise sounds big. I had bruising around all of my incisions. They were big in size but not as big as you've described. They're pretty much gone now. The incisions look better than I thought they would.
Keep up the great work.

I was told thats normal because of the surgeron mashing around with the different instruments, I had some but not as huge as you described.

Hi, we're twins. LoL it's prob. from the blood thinner they gave you. That's what the Dr. told me. Glad you're doing fine. I'm great too. Seen my Doc today...now I'm on soft foods YEAHHHHHH Good to see you on here. Take Care my friend. Hugs....(gentle ones). LOL Carla

Mergatroid-I don't recall having any bruising. Are you giving yourself blood thinner shots? If you are, are you giving them in the same area where you see brusing? If you are taking shots you ned to rotate the site for each shot. I used lower belly right and left and upper thighs right and left. Do not rub the injection area after your shot or it will bruise.

Hi Mergatroid, I had some bruisoing but I don't recal how much. I am glad you are doing good. Make sure to take plenty of naps and sip, sip, sip. :cool: Tom

Hi Mergatroid. I had some bruising but it was so long ago I can't remember how much. I am glad you are feeling good. Remember to take plent of naps and sip sip sip. :cool: Tom

Hi peeps. Thanks for the answers and well wishes. I don't have to give myself any injections like I've heard some people have. They did give me hepparin in the hospital but they alternated sides, and I don't have any bruising on my right. Guess I'm just weird. I have to go to to VA today for my 6 month blood work. Probably should have cancelled it. It's a "fasting" one. Lol. I haven't "eaten" in over a week. Which brings to mind...I somehow GAINED the three pounds back that I lost!!! How does that happen? Argh!

i would talk to the doctor about the bleeding, esp late in the game. what did you mean about gaining back 3 pounds you should? YOU should not gain weight back, LOSE weight is the name of the game.

I have a large bruising area as well. It was because of work my srgeeon needed to do to remove my Lap Band with scar tissue. Turning all kinds of colors now :) I will call them my battle scars !!

Mergatroid-The weight you gained is most likely from fluid retention because of the IV fluids. This is normal and should come off in a few days. I was in the hospital for 4 days after my WLS and gained a whopping 24 pounds of fluid weight!!! I was very miserable due to excessive swelling of my legs, ankles and feet. I couldn't even bend at the knees and had to be "stuffed" into the car for the ride home after discharge. With the surgeon's permission I took a prescription dieuretic and the excess fluid came off in a few days.

How did the blood work come out? what did the doctor say about bruising? Probably normal, blood gets pulled down by gravity but should be checked.

The bruise was caused by a nicked blood vessel. Still waiting on my lab work. Thanks for reminding me. I'm an air head as of late. I started back to work today. 1/2 days and light duty. Not too bad. Still a little sore.

Back