• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Christmas Visitors too Soon?

BamaBaby

I'm being operated on Nov.21, 2012 and my husband's brother and wife and two kids are planning to be here for Christmas. My question is, will I probably feel up to it yet? Or should it probably be delayed? I don't know what to expect?:confused:

Good Morning Bama Baby,

You know better than anyone if these family members are the kind who pitch in and help or require you to play the hostess. Also does your husband help out? Are the children generally well behaved or are they kind of wild? Are they independent for meals since you will be eating much less and may not be able to tolerate regular food by then? How do you feel about eating differently from the family, will it bother you? As long as they understand that you may not be feeling "wonderful", and can be understanding and non demanding, and take care of themselves you may want them to visit. If, however, you would rather wait until a time when you can fully enjoy their company I would ask for a different time of year.

Good luck on your journey.

Joy

I had my surgery in August and with in one week I was playing with my kickball league and jogging. I don't think this was smart to do but I felt ok with it. Every person is different. It is a struggle while everyone else eats adn socializes to sit there sipping on water and not partake in the festivities. Physically you may be alright. GOod luck!

Bamababy, I am planning now for Christmas. It seems if I have a plan and my family is aware of how I feel before christmas the stress of pleasing them hopefully will be reversed to pleasing me. We need to be considered too. I am not having my surgery until after the holidays, which worries me because I don't want to gain my weight loss goal back and my surgery cancelled. You on the other hand might not feel like being around food and strong enough for entertaining. Is it possible to wait until after a couple of weeks from your surgery to finalize plans for your company? "You" are the important one here! One Step at a Time is a good way of thinking.

Hi Bama, Most of your pain should have subsided by then a month will have passed, I still had a little pain when I laughed, sneezed or coughed but it slowley went away. You will probably fatigued for the first couple of months so make sure you take time out for rest and naps, I remember taking lots of naps for the first 4 or 5 weeks. You probably wont be up for real long outings but going to the movies or out for a meal or some window shopping at the mall that didn't involve a lot of walking and standing for hours would be managable.

You will still be able to go out and eat with your family but it will be much different, you may be on soft foods so cottage cheese or a soup would be some of your options but you probably won't be very hungry. Your Christmas dinner at home should be much easier because you can make sure the food in your meal plan will be there but again you may not have an appatite but that is common (and probably unbalievable at this point) so don't try and over do it.

You must be very excited right now, let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

Hi Bama, My mother-in-law is visiting, she just arrived yesterday. Thankfully she does not need to be entertained or waited on hand and foot. She will pitch in. Any way, I think the best advise is to decide if they are the needy type visitors or the pitch in and make things easy type. I think you'll be fine, except for the stamina, I'm still working on regaining mine. As was said above, you must make the decision that is best for you.

Javejoy and fkrebs said it best. as long as the family is self sufficient and you can get a daily nap if needed it will be great. It has been almost 3 weeks for me and my 3 kids and their spouses, and 4 grandkids and my parents will all be here with me next week for thanksgiving. I am not at all worried. I feel pretty well. I do get tired, but that is easily remedied. Let them help with prep and cleanup and if they live close, ask them to bring a dish or two. Make is a leisurely day!

Bama-Other than your diet being different you will probably have very little energy. It takes a good 2 or 3 months to shake the fatigue. Your body is still healing, you will be dropping weight like crazy plus you are eating very little. All of these things will zap your energy big time, so expect that. As long as you get help around the house doing the usual cleaning before and after the company and big time help with the shopping and cooking you will be OK to enjoy the holidays. It's equally important to get PLENTY of sleep plus naps when your body tells you its tired. But don't sacrifice what you need just to enjoy the holidays. You should be able to do both by then :) :) :)

Bamababy- I totally agree with everyone, it really depends if your guest are self sufficient or will they be looking to you to entertain, cook, etc. Considering I am two days out you definitely need to rest when your body says rest and I find I am staying very concentrated on my protein, liquids etc. However after a month you should have that down pat.

I would just let them know not to expect miracles from you, because you have to be NUMBER ONE during your healing!!!

So now given what happened and how you are feeling, are you company coming or not? I would say by Christmas you may feel ok but with all that you have been through, why push it! Take Care of Yourself!!

Put guests up in a hotel and yall can skype. I'm been sickly at christmas before but the family went on without me. Which was just what I wanted. Keep your specifics simple and don't sweat the small stuff. Get out your pretty pjs and keep them on while company is there. They'll all want to wait on you. And leave early. Merry Christmas to you and yours. And my favorite doc said it best; I'm just following my doctors orders.

Back