• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New just had surgery Monday.

cmount72

My name is Cathy and just had my surgery this week. I decided to join this site because a lot of things are happening and I am actually having difficulty dealing with my decision now that I had the procedure. What surprises me the most is that I did all kinds of research for four years before I made the leap. I was so excited and did not believe that I would be depressed about it or regret doing it but I am and I do. I feel miserable all of the time, I cannot fit all of the liquid or the protein i'm supposed to be eating in one day. I was not as prepared as I thought I was and now I am going to have to deal with it and get help figuring out what I can do to feel better about getting the surgery, what I can really expect to happen, and hopefully learn how to get over some of these hurdles.

Cathy,

Please don't beat yourself up over things so early in your recovery period. All you can do is keep trying. Remember to sip sip sip and then sip some more. It will get easier as time goes by. Follow your menu/eating plan as best you can and eventually you will be up to par with your needs. Remember you have a brand new tiny pouch that is probably swollen and aggravated. After you start losing weight and start to recover from the surgery you will feel much better. It is normal to have some regrets early on in the process. As time goes by you will start to feel better. Come here often and vent all you want to. There are some here who went through what you are going through now and you will get plenty of support. Feel free to ask away. Walk as much as you can, it really helps. And, WElcome to the Forum. Joy

This is a group of non-judgmental and supportive folks. You must remember the reasons you chose to change your lifestyle and look forward to your new life. I haven't had surgery yet but I have friends who have. They all say the same thing - no regrets. Keep looking forward and find support here.

Thank you for your reply. Odd question but what can I do about all of the gas? It makes me miserable and my doctor did not give me any instruction in this department.

Hi Cathy, Welcome. Congratulations on the surgery, you are on an exciting new journey to a healthier you. Don't let the deppression and regret worry you, it is a normal part for most of us on this exciting new journey in our lives. When I started my journey I did very little research I had just reached my breaking point with my struggling weight problem, I had tried everything else so I thought I would follow my doctors advice and so my journey began. I was very excited and followed all the instructions and finally after 3 or 4 months had my surgery I was scared nervous anxous and excited, but during my recovery at home I started feeling that buyer remorse, thinkg that what if it didn't work for me and "What the heck did I do to myself" even bring my self to tears at times, it was an on and off pitty party for a couple of weeks:rolleyes: Then I started feeeling better and it got a little easier to get my fluids and protien and the weight started coming off, my bloodpressure was normal and my cholesterol was coming back to normal and my energy increased, and all those feelings and fears of remorse went away:D. So hang in there and come back and vent when you need to, join a local live support group if you have one near your home, it does get better. :cool: Tom

cmount72..I am SO SORRY that you are having these problems! You can't be expected to get in all the protein at first. It took me 6 months to get up to 64 grams out of real food. I had to stay on the meal replacement shakes for the first 6 months as I could not tolorate meats. I had RNY on Feb.8,2012. PLEASE talk to your surgeon about your depression. There are things you can do to feel better...you may even feel better about your decision if you get your depression in check. Keep in touch and good luck.

GasX didn't really work for me. I use Schiff brand probiotic called Digestive Advantage Gas Defense Formula. I got it at Walmart. It has worked wonders for me. Good luck!

I also had my surgery this week (Tuesday). I had also done all the research I possibly could, went to as many groups as I could and still I wasn't prepared. I liken it to childbirth. You can't really know until you go through it. I'm surprised at the amount of pain and discomfort that still exists. I also have an incredibly hard time getting in my proteins even in shake form. The gas has been so painful it has brought me to tears. I try, during my hardest moments, to remember ALL the reasons (and there are countless) that I came to the decision that WLS would be the route I'd take. I think if you can return to the reasons and remind yourself that, "This, too, shall pass," that eventually we look back at all this and think of course it was all worth it. I surround myself with success stories and watched a video today where the woman said WLS changed the quality of her life so significantly that if she had to repeat the process every year of her life, she would. Take care. We can get through it!

I felt the same way. Thought I was prepared and ready. I was not ready for the emotional changes that come along with a major life change. You can't beat yourself up or push yourself to far to fast. Sip, sip and sip some more. It will take time to get the protein in that is needed. I don't tolerate the protein shakes so I have had to drink protein rich milk and add a meal to my day. You do what works for you and follow doctor plan.

Cathy-The depression you are feeling happens to most of us once we drop some weight. The culprits are hormones that are stored in our fat deposits. These hormones are released into our system when the fat starts to disappear and an wreak havoc for a while. Things will levle out for you soon but if you are feeling extremely depressed let your doctor know so that options can be discussed. Rest assured that none of us were able to get all of the fluids and protein in at the very beginning. You will be able to accomplish this very soon so just do the best you can for now. Just slowly and continuously sip your fluids and protein drinks. In case you don't know this your protein drinks count towards your daily fluid goals and so do other things like sugar free popsicles :) :) :)

Let us know how you are doing.

The feelings afterward are normal from what I have seen alot of people get them and then they go away. It gets better. Keep sip sip sipping all throughout the day. They say do not worry about the protein in the first week especially -just try and keep sipping the fluids. I picked up a Zero calorie Sports drink-it has electrolytes in it, also have protein chicken broth, and protein jello. I also have those zero calorie water flavor drops-because no matter how much you like water-variance is good. SF popsicles-give you something to crunch on that is liquid.
I had a support group member of mine that I was visiting in the hospital (s she just had her surgery) tell me that they gave her a heating pad for her gas pains and it helps tremondously. Walk, walk,-get up and walk around. the more you move the better it is. Sip, sip, sip.
My friend also had a little problem with nausea and trying to get down her sips, but, it eased up and she was better.

Carol

Hi Cathy... I'm a little late to the Party, but there isn't much I can add to what everyone else has said. It's now been 8 days since your surgery, are you doing any better. The best thing I can say is if the depression is continuing, talk to your Dr. Good luck and keep us in the loop, we're here for you.

:cool:

You had your surgery on the same day as I did. They eliminate part of your stomach being attached and that part of the stomach has all kinds of hormones and they make us depressed and hungry. SO expect to be a little depressed and full feeling. I have bitten the bullet I will not be getting in the amt of protein I am supposed to. So much so I got readmitted from forcing myself to drink the protein which for me, was not well tolerated. I have now been told NO Protein drinks for a week and then I see my doctor who has been great.
My remorse took the form of what in hell did I do, permanent! I could have just done protein drinks 2 x a day and a meal at night for 5 days and then eat regular on weekends, feeling sorry I will never have a real ice cream cone etc. But then realized all the reason I did it and then read great recipes we can have and make our lives normal eating with family etc. Three is a great book Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for dummies. If you buy through Amazon it is cheaper or Barnes and Noble on internet is around $11 but if you go to store it is $19.99
You will be fine, just time will have to pass so we are not in pain, we can eat, and back to normal except we eat much less. Right now with popsicles and chicken soup I can get much more in than a bottle of water with Crystal Light in it. NOT sure why but it is what it is. WE are in this together! Smile, it makes you happier.

I am also new here and just had my surgery on Monday. First morning that I was home I had really bad anxiety thinking about the whole thing and if it was right for me. Then I got up and got on with it. Doing better now with the anxiety part it as I get more comfortable with the healing. Virtual no gas so i count myself lucky . Contipation was a problem at first but MOM did the trick. Walking a lot and even drove to store. Needing only a little pain med at night to help by end of day soreness. Trying not to overdue and have a set back but overall I am doing well. I had the Lap Band first for the last 5 yrs and that wasnt working for me so I converted and i feel pretty confident I made the right choice, good luck

Have been back to work and am starting to feel normalish, lol. After reading all of the posts, I am trying to take one day at a time, some days have been better than others. This past week I learned that I need to have time to recover if I am trying a new food as some things I have found do not agree with me anymore so it's like a gift when I find something I like I can actually eat. Bonus I suppose is that I have found I like lentils so far on my new journey with food and so does my tummy.

Ty everyone who replied, it has helped.

I'm reading the notes here with a big smile. Those that know me know my thoughts on gas... LOL. Gas is your friend. It means you are getting enough protein. It's horrible. It's nasty. It's healthy for anyone who has had the surgery. The only prevention is to stop the protein. But, stop the protein and you open yourself up for a whole lot of problems. My solution...when you think...even THINK it's coming on, get the heck out of the area...because trust me, everyone will smell it. And it can get nasteeeeeeee. LOL.

Keep your chin up and hang in there. You'll be just fine.

Back