• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

November 30-Day Challenge

DAY 11

Water:
64 oz
Protein: 45g protein

Gratitude: tradition My favorite memory was my parents prepping & fixing Thanksgiving dinner. My mother's dressing/stuffing was the highlight. She mixed chopped fresh bread with the cooked giblets, celery & onions, chopped skinless apples, and browned sausage, plus chicken broth to keep it from drying out. Absolutely delicious! She always made lots of extra dressing that could be eaten warm or cold! In fact, I never had Stove Top Stuffing until I grew up & left home.

Friday - Day 11

Food plan:
Yes
Protein: Yes
Water: Yes
Exercise/Movement: Yes
Habit tracker: 14/14

Gratitude: Tradition
My mother:
Baking Christmas Cookies and handing the love of doing that to me. (My sister was the better cook but I was the better baker!) To be able to give a platter of your homemade cookies out as gifts and see their smile is priceless. One year I couldn't make my cookies and did I ever hear about it! LOL, I don't mind because I know how much they look forward to it.

I have kept certain favorite cookie recipes that my mom made and call them traditional recipes. In other words, must make! I feel my mon's presence when I do. She passed away over 30 years ago and is missed dearly. Then I have a few of my own favorites that I've discovered on my own and I try to add one new recipe each year to try and see if it bumps one of the others out. (But none ever bump out the recipes from my mom!) That makes for a lot of cookies and a lot of gifts. The challenge these days is to not be tempted to eat them, that is so hard and I admit that I had more than a few last year. But it is a season that only comes once a year!

And in passing down the tradition, here I am teaching my granddaughter (when she was 5) to bake as well...

View attachment 4760 View attachment 4761

View attachment 4762
Your granddaughter looks so much like my daughters at that age! Maybe it's the pain meds, but I had to look twice! She's a beautiful girl!

Day 13 - Friday

Food plan goal:
No - just a slight deviation for dinner
Protein goal: Yes
Water goal: Yes
Habit tracker: 13/14

Gratitude - Gadget
My Instant Pot. I never thought I would use it as much as I do, but I actually love this thing. I really find the meat proteins are easier to eat when cooked in it as is my slow cooker. And the instant pot also makes the best hard boiled eggs that are so easy to peel.

Day 13
Water
: 64+
Intentional movement: no. I was at my sons bowling league this morning followed by a 6 game tournament.
Gratitude-something old: This isn’t something as in a possession, but the something old I’m grateful for everyday is the friendships I’ve had with 6 friends. 3 of them I’ve been friends with for 28 years, 1 of them for 27 years, and the other 2 since I was a freshman in high school so 25 years. And since I’m 39, that’s a pretty long time to be friends with someone. We don’t all live close, and those of us who do live busy lives, but we text almost daily, or keep up on social media a lot. Their friendship means the world to me.

Day 13 - Saturday

Food plan goal:
No
Exercise/Movement: No
Habit tracker: 11/14

Gratitude: Something Old
Old pictures. I don't have a lot of when my parents were young so I really cherish the ones that I have. Here are a few favorites of my mom, dad, brother and sister. I'm the chubby baby in the pics. ;) Back in those days my parents lived in Flushing (Queens), NY not far from the World's Fairgrounds but when I was 6 months old they moved out of the city and we became country folk! They built their own home on 7 acres of land back in the woods so most of their spare cash went into building our house, hence the lack of photos back then. My heritage is my mother Hungarian and my dad Sicilian. Both of them being first generation American.

Catching up on Gratitude again!

Gadget: I am grateful for my phone! I begged for a smart phone for years, just like a kid! My husband insisted I would not use it. Boy was he wrong, I couldn't be separated from it! It took him several years to get one, and a few more to actually use it, but he may some day see the phone's potential.

Something old: I have really given this a long time lot of thought, and I sadly don't have any old things, because they were lost along the way. I am, however, very grateful for the two older men in my life, Jack and Larry, my husband and his brother. They have both been hugely supportive over the last 20 years. I love them both very much.

Something new: Again I'm going with a person, as I am most grateful for my amazing new grandson Kyeden! How can I not be! He is a wiggling, giggling, wobbling, chubby, drooling, smiling, squirming, happy little guy! He's every grandma's dream! I wish I could clone him! He's perfect!

Day 14 Sunday

Gratitude (catching up)

Day 12 Gadget: my smart phone gives me access to this group

Day 13 Something Old: My Snuggles Bear (like the fabric softener), a Christmas gift from my mom.

One year, she & I had 2 gifts that we exchanged. She handed me a gift & when I opened it, it was "The Mammoth Hunters" by Jean Auel. I started giggling as I handed her a gift. She cracked up when she saw I gave her a copy of "The Mammoth Hunters!"

Next, I handed my mom her 2nd gift in a gift bag. She started giggling as she pulled out a teddy bear. Then she handed me a gift bag. Inside was a teddy bear, Snuggles!!! How did we both give each other the same Christmas gift? That's how incredibly close we were. ❤❤

Day 14 Something New: my new healthier life!!!

Day 15 -Monday

Food plan:
No - Did not do well yesterday but that was then and this is now. Will do better today.

Gratitude: Experience
Traveling to a place I have never been before. I just love to travel and see things I haven't done before. I couldn't possible pick one more than another as it is more the experience of seeing something new and expanding my horizon that makes me so grateful.

Day 15 -Monday

Food plan:
No - Did not do well yesterday but that was then and this is now. Will do better today.

Traveling to a place I have never been before. I just love to travel and see things I haven't done before. I couldn't possible pick one more than another as it is more the experience of seeing something new and expanding my horizon that makes me so grateful.
And I just love the incredible pictures you have shared with us. Thank you.

Day 15 Monday

Food:
off track a bit, esp protein
Water: 64 oz
Movement: not much

Marriage. Marrying the love of my life was worth the wait for him.

Weekly weigh-in:

Lost 5 lbs from last week (15 lbs total since 2 weeks ago).
Starting weight 234 lbs. Current weight 171.4. Total weight loss 62.6 lbs.

Day 16
Water
: 70oz
Intentional movement: a little, but better than nothing!
Gratitude-recipe: It’s not an exact recipe but my mom taught me how to make southern fried chicken, and I’ve changed things up a little since she originally taught me how to make it, but it’s the same basic idea.

Day 16 - Tuesday

Food plan goal:
Yes - if you exclude the hard candy that I shouldn't have eaten but I chose that as my stress reliever as something I can eat slowily. Not the greatest, but it is what it is. Other than that, stuck to the plan.
Habit tracker: 13.5/14 Took a half point off for that hard candy.

Gratitude: Recipe
Homemade Chicken Soup. Every Sunday growing up (except in the Summer) there would be a pot of homemade Chicken Soup on the stove waiting for us after church. Pure Chicken Soup for the Soul, I would say! I still make it today, although not every week. I make mine extra bountiful with lots of chicken, veggies and noodles and we have it for dinner as it is so hearty. I just may have to go out and buy the stuff today to make it! And it makes the house smell so good too!

Day 16 - Tuesday

Food plan goal:
Yes - if you exclude the hard candy that I shouldn't have eaten but I chose that as my stress reliever as something I can eat slowily. Not the greatest, but it is what it is. Other than that, stuck to the plan.
Habit tracker: 13.5/14 Took a half point off for that hard candy.

Homemade Chicken Soup. Every Sunday growing up (except in the Summer) there would be a pot of homemade Chicken Soup on the stove waiting for us after church. Pure Chicken Soup for the Soul, I would say! I still make it today, although not every week. I make mine extra bountiful with lots of chicken, veggies and noodles and we have it for dinner as it is so hearty. I just may have to go out and buy the stuff today to make it! And it makes the house smell so good too!
Hey Judy, would you mind sharing your delicious chicken soup recipe please? I would love to make it during the upcoming cold weather. Thank you.

Day 16

Water:
80 oz
Food: 50g protein
Movement: 30 min walk on another beautiful fall day.

My mother's meatloaf. Growing up, I never understood why many people disliked meatloaf. My mother's was so delicious, I could have eaten it every day, along with mashed potatoes and either green beans or corn.

She chopped onions & peppers, tore up a piece of bread and stirred in an egg with the ground beef. Then she mixed in ketchup and mustard (either dry or regular), parsley flakes, and the secret ingredient, Worcestershire sauce. I sometimes put a little bit of A-1 sauce. Pouring ketchup on top and baking it was the final step. Over the years I sometimes surrounded the meatloaf with mashed potatoes, then cooked the combo. The potatoes soaked up most of the juices (yes, and some of the grease) and were so tasty.

Instead of chopping up the onions & peppers from scratch, I like buying a frozen 3 pepper/onion blend. I'll still chop them up, but they are so pretty and about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of fresh.

Doggone it, now I'm gonna have to cook this pretty soon. I just made myself hungry. Head hunger fer sure.

Back