• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Troubles in Paradise,

fkrebs

Ok, now that I have your attention. I am not good at reaching out when I'm having problems, I've always viewed it as a failure within myself, strangely I always thought that when others asked for help, it was a sign of real strength. Anyway, I celebrated 6 months post op last Wednesday and I'm down 140 lbs from my all time high in Sept. However I have noticed that in the past week to two weeks, nothing seems to satisfy me. I want to eat all the time. I use my inspiration picture of my Grandson, I drink and when I do eat, I eat protein, fruits or vegs, no sweets of any kind. My weight is plateaued, though I'm not really worried about that. I guess I just need some moral support. I'm heading to the gym and then my 6 month follow up at the surgeons office.

Frank

:cool:

Hey Frank,

Sorry to hear about your paradise issues. I am of two minds of how you should deal with your difficulties; Frank, you have become my role model since coming to ABGS. These are my own approaches and not sanctioned by anybody who knows anything.

We are under constant pressure and stress to stay true to our programs and needless to say we can become overstrung a bit tight. You just may need to relieve some of that strain. I would just say, to hell with the program for a day or two and indulge yourself. Get it out of your system not by fighting it but by a controlled giving in. Reset, dust yourself off get back up on your hoss and continue on your journey.

My second suggestion is to divert yourself, go dig in that garden you've been meaning to plant. Clean out your garage. I my case the wife and I decided to have our photo portraits done. Spend some time writing some of those excellent blogs of yours. Anything to mix it up a bit to keep it from getting boring. Take up dance lessons with the wife (that's a good one), you get the idea.

Frank, there you have my two cents, try any one or combination, they might help or not, but they will be fun trying.

Good luck my friend

cheers

Thanks Dennis, you are of course right. Yesterday was a eat when I felt like it kind of day. Back on the path again today and so far so good. But the intensity of the cravings surprised me. I haven't really had any desire to eat until now, most days I have to force myself to eat, because I don't think about it. Again, thanks for the input.

Frank

Hi FKRebs,

My motto is "once a food addict, always a food addict" No matter where we are in this journey, and how far we've come, we may want to turn to our "old faithful" for some good memories. You've come sooooo far on your journey. You've made amazing strides with your weight loss! I think it's great that you're very mindful and aware of what's going on in your mind and behavior. Move through, move forward, and think of it as a "test" of your will. You are almost there, and you will reach your goal.

This too shall pass and it will. You are a success, and perhaps you may want to change things up a bit. If you have increased your exercise routine, your body probably needs more fuel to keep you going. You have done excellent! Stay focused, forgive yourself, and move forward!

:)

Frank

I agree with all the advice and Linny is correct in saying the more you work out the more food you need for fuel. Hang in there and if you think you need more motivation just think of the role model you are for us newbies. Not in a pressure kind of way but more of a flattering kind of way. What ever you do don't give up. I learned something in a healthy eating class that shocked me. "don't be dumb enough to think you will never eat pizza or other foods again". Instead no that if you need a treat you will have to make sure you work out more or cut calories for the next few days to make up for it. Unbelievable that we are still supposed to be humans with food cravings.

May your spirits be raised and your weight lowered :)

HANG IN THERE FRANK!!! You are truly an inspiration for me, as I am sure you are for others that have read your blogs. As I was told by a very close friend when I was down, "Look up! Get Up! But NEVER GIVE UP!!":eek:

Wow, thank you everyone. I appreciate all the support and kind words. I was confused, because until recently, I had no cravings and when they hit, it was a shock. I have no plans to quit, you guys are stuck with me for a long time to come. I intend to join the BIG LOSER Club we have here and stay in the club. I had my six month check today and the PA told me everything that you guys have, but not nearly and supportively as you did. Have a great day you bunch of Losers you! :D

Frank

Frank-your issue is similar to mine. I lost the majority of my weight during the first 6 months and the rest has been creeping off. I too had a difficult time eating in the beginning then all of a sudden wanted to eat more. Not a lot more but more than I should be eating. After going for a check up the surgeon and nutritionist both told me my metabolism has slowed down and I needed to increase my activity level significantly in order to continue to lose weight. In my case I am pretty inactive because my hip was bad. I had a hip replacement on 4/2/13 and will be able to be more physically active in a few months once the healing is complete. It will be interesting to see what happens with my weight loss.

What did the doctor have to say during your visit?

Best wishes Frank. Thanks for sharing your struggles. It will help all of us when we come up against the same thing. I'm like you, it is hard to ask for help, but I'm glad you did and there are others that had some answers. Thanks everyone!

Back