• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Two years out and needs help....please

ekolpack

I am 2 years out today and I am feeling so discouraged. I have lost down to 198 (start weight 290) and have started gaining weight again. Even though I spend as much as 2 hours 5 days a week at the swimming pool doing laps and water exercises i can't seem to get moving down again. I find I am so hungry after I exercise that usually will eat whatever I can find. I have some really bad eating habits and I know I have to change that. I am an emotional eater and find myself grabbing whatever is available to eat. I even eat when I'm not hungry and will sometimes eat knowing that I will be uncomfortable after I eat whatever it is I stick in my mouth.

I don't know where to go from here. I have tried talking to a councilor but they don't do any good. All they want to do is give me pills. I take so many pills on a daily basis that I don't think I could find room in my pouch to put another one.

I'm sorry for all the rambling but that's the way my mind works. I just feel so out of control sometimes.

I don't post much but I read a lot of your posts hoping to find someone or some idea that will help and it hasn't worked yet. I'll keep watching.

Welcome to the forum. Have you heard of the 5 day pouch test? It's a way to "jump start" your pouch into working again. There is some information on this forum about it or you could do an Internet search. There is also a forum member named feastorfamine who can provide you with more information. She has done the test and has experience with it.

Hi Ekolpack, Welcome. Well it does seem you have a handle on what is going on with you the emoyional eating, bad food choices, and eating when your not hungry (I call it boardome eating, I do that sometimes:eek:). If you have done the councilor thing and that didn't help then, I guess you just need to get to the root of Why? Are you aware of what triggers the emotional eating, when you feel that feeling come on take a written or mental note and ask yourself what can I do besides eat through it... talk about it? maybe it is something beyond your control if so then accept it if it is something within your control then think about what you can do to change it and go from there, that works for stress and boardome eating. Pills are always a last resort but sometimes nessasary, that is best descussed with your doctor when all else fails.

The being hungry after your work out I know what may help. What I do when I know is I will have a regular high protien meal for me then directly after my work out have a protien shake and some peanuts or other high protien energy snack like that.

My meal plan consists of 5 to 6 small meals a day some being protien bars or shakes/w some extra stuff if I have been working out hard. It feels like I am eating all day bvut I feel satisfied and I get the protien I need and the calories I need to lose/maintan fat and gain/maintain muscle. So sometimes we will feel like we aren't losing anything and we are just gaining muscle and losing fat. Let me know how things work out, I certainly hope some of my advice makes sense. :cool: Tom

Hi, I am 9 yrs. out from my surgery and I too was an emotional eater. I have coined a phrase for myself and It Works.... It doesn't belong to Me! I have eaten enough of everything that I should never have to eat certain things again. I went from 225 to 112 and
I am happy to say that I will never put that weight back on. I'm sure you already know that eating 5-6 times a day keeps you from
being hungry and keeps your metabolism up. If you think protein first that will help as well. My Dr. told me that people that eat
the same foods everyday maintain their weight much longer and feel better. I started that 9 yrs ago and pretty much do just that.
I have decided that food isn't my entertainment, see if you can find someone to talk to when you need to eat. I would love to hear from you again and share ideas. Don't let the food win!!!!! Helene

ekolpack, I'm sorry you are having a hard time. Have you tried journaling your food intake, PLUS writing down how you felt at the time? It might give you some insight into why you are emotional eating. Stay strong! We are all here for you---your bariatric extended family.

It sounds like the reason you are hungry after you workout is that you're burning a lot of calories and need to re-fuel in order to gain your strength and energy level back. Especially if you have increased your workout routine, you need to eat more in order for your body to work as it's supposed to work. As a fellow food addict, I know it's easy to reach for any food available in that given moment, but I've learned that one hour after I work out I drink a high-protein shake to replace the protein lost after I exercised. I used to feel very weak and tired after I worked out and it's because the protein was taken. Replace the protein and make sure it's a high amount of protein. Sometimes I buy at the health food store a protein shake that contains 40 grams in one container. Not only does my energy level restore itself, but also I've gained muscle and definition to my body. Give it a try.:eek:

Hey, after working out why not wip up a post op workout shake? That's what I do. I'm almost 6 years out, I still eat 5 small meals a day. I don't indulge in forbinen foods, I take one bite and I move away from it. I allow myself a bite once in a while. Family events and holidays usually are the only ok times. Something u can do, try writing down everything your eatting. Show yourself, every bite count. And try this writing it down before you eat it, this will give yourself a moment to process whet your about to eat.

Welcome, Jess!

And Kudos and Congratulations both on your weight loss and your creation and maintenance of your new life!!!

What an inspiration!

Thank you for sharing here.

Courage

IMHO, don't get discouraged, go back to basics, maybe reduce your exercise for a short period of time while you try to recenter yourself. Most problems are between the ears, take a deep breath and restart the routine that got going in the direction you originally wanted to go. Attend live support group meeting.

cheers

Last edited:
After a workout, try a Protein Bar, I like the Detour bars, more protein than sugars and carbs. If you eat anything you can find, then maybe being sure you have the right foods in the house will help. Like others have said, try the pouch test, and go back to following the plan that you used when you were losing.

:cool:

swimming is great for body tone but will not help much in losing weight. UNLESS you are are really pushing and getting really aerobic with the swimming. Also drink a protein drink after you are dressed after swimming and it will help to build muscle and lose fat. We are what we eat, if you eat candy and empty calories you are going to have problems losing, try to eat Protein first and then some fruit or something. Right now I only 3 mos out and cannot eat much. I did see some great candy on sale yesterday, had the 3 boxes for $3 in my hands and then came to my senses and put them back but I really wanted them. I do not seem to have dumping syndrome but do not want to really test it with bunch of candy!

I am on day one of the 5 day pouch test and am not enjoying it! :) I'm 13 months post-op with a combined weight loss of 195 lbs (about 80 I lost before and have lost 115 since surgery. I was feeling discouraged, so I found this pouch test. I remember being able to have creamy soups (like a cream of mushroom) on the liquid diet. Are chunks of veggies (mushrooms mostly) okay for days 1 and 2 of this test? I'm really hoping this helps. I haven't gained, but am trying this because I'm afraid I will if I don't get back on it. Any encouragement is helpful, as today sucks!

Back