• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

why is Bypass surgery more successful than just dieting?

Thomas66

Hi all,

I have already learned so much, but there is one question I have not yet had answered.

First off let me assure you all that I in no way wish to imply that the surgery is not necessary so please don't take it that way, so here goes;

If someone can stick to that post surgery diet then why could they not simply do that instead of having the surgery in the first place? and how many people do you guys think "fall off the wagon" and simply can't? Because I gotta be honest I know myself well enough that I could never adhere to such a diet ; ) .

So if a person can't diet successfully before the operation what causes them to apparently be able to do it ( as many have ) after the surgery?

Does the surgery help "break the chain " of food abuse by either making it more unpalatable or is it the encouragement of the weight loss that changes the patient's mind set?

This is probably my biggest concern I have left regarding the surgery for my girlfriend, although I think she will be successful because she is certainly not "food crazy" like I am, but will it be difficult for her to adhere to the diet ? How tough was it for any of you guys that have had the surgery?

lol Sorry, that was like several questions ; )

Dear Tomas,

The statistics are according to my program dietitian, that only three percent of people who lose significant amounts of weight are able to keep that weight from coming back. I have over my sixty-one years have manage to lose a ton of weight but never managed to keep it off. In my case getting into my senior years, I wanted a solution I knew would work.

The surgery is only a tool it still requires work and effort to lose and once you reach your goals the focus and determination to maintain your weight, which will return if you are not committed. For me the surgery solidifies that commitment. My purpose in having the surgery was to help moderate heath issues I was having because of my weight and to better my chances of living a more fulfilling and active life style in my senior years. There was no vanity in my choice and the cosmetic benefits are just a plus in my opinion.

My only regret is not doing this ten years earlier.

Best regards.

THOMAS66:
If someone can stick to that post surgery diet then why could they not simply do that instead of having the surgery in the first place?
ANSWER: After gastric bypass your stomach is the size of an egg. This restricts the amount of food you can eat comfortably. Other types of bariatric surgery also restrict the amount of food you are comfortable eating as well.
and how many people do you guys think "fall off the wagon" and simply can't? Because I gotta be honest I know myself well enough that I could never adhere to such a diet ; ) .
ANSWER: The statistics vary but from my research the average seems to be 50% of post surgical patients will regain a SIGNIFICANT amount of weight.
So if a person can't diet successfully before the operation what causes them to apparently be able to do it ( as many have ) after the surgery?
ANSWER: Because of the inability to be able to eat as much as you could before surgery.

Does the surgery help "break the chain " of food abuse by either making it more unpalatable or is it the encouragement of the weight loss that changes the patient's mind set?
ANSWER: I couldn’t stand the sight or smell of food for the first 3 weeks after surgery, but that passed. It’s different for everyone and also depends on which surgery you have. And yes, it does help break the chain because you have to follow a specific meal plan to get your body used to processing food again. During this timeframe you learn healthy eating habits providing you follow the plan the way you are supposed to.

This is probably my biggest concern I have left regarding the surgery for my girlfriend, although I think she will be successful because she is certainly not "food crazy" like I am, but will it be difficult for her to adhere to the diet ?
ANSWER: If she has gastric bypass and doesn’t adhere to the meal plan she will most likely end up with dumping syndrome. You will learn more about this in orientation but in a nutshell it causes some or all of the following: nausea, vomiting, sweating, headache, diarrhea, cramps. After having this a couple of times you learn not to eat the wrong things. Later on when you are able to tolerate more foods dumping might not happen but by this time healthier eating habits will have been learned. Of course, it’s not 100% guaranteed effective for everyone. An environment conducive to healthy eating is what brings the most success.

How tough was it for any of you guys that have had the surgery?
ANSWER: It varies widely. For me it was very easy and I lost most of 105 pounds during the first 6 months. Eventually the weight loss slows down for everyone because you start eating more and your metabolism slows down to “match” the number of calories you are eating. Statistics show that bariatric patients, on average, are able to lose 50% of their pre-surgical weight. In my case this is exactly spot on but I'm not giving up. This does not mean you can’t lose more. This forum is proof positive that some people can lose all of their excess weight. You have to exercise, exercise then exercise more and stick to a healthy meal plan for the rest of your life. There are no magic bullets with weight loss surgery. You have to really work on it.

Why did you choose sleeve instead of bypass?

Good question. I felt that the RNY was too sever, I had my doubts about all the re-plumbing required. My father, back when I was a boy had colectomy and the bag and my memories of that were just awful. The sleeve to me was a much more elegant procedure. Just slice away a section of stomach, no re-plumbing and you kept the valve at the bottom of the stomach. The RNY I believe is a surgery more suited for the morbidly obese candidate. I needed to lose and keep off one hundred and twenty pounds and I felt the sleeve suited that purpose just fine. The weight loss is slower but I,m okay with that, make haste slowly is my motto. And the bottom line is I believe it is easier to live with this operation in the long run.

My surgeon at first disagreed with me and I had to make my case with him and he did finally agree. He also thought I would be able to go without insulin, and I knew he was wrong there, and he was.

I hope that answers your question.

cheers

I don't think ANY bariatric surgery is "elegant". I know many people in my "real life" support groups who were very successfull in stopping their insulin usage after a RNY and sleeve.

I think everyone is different and everyone's body reacts differently to surgery. The choice in which one you have should have is a conversation you should have with your Doctor.

I don't think ANY bariatric surgery is "elegant". I know many people in my "real life" support groups who were very successfull in stopping their insulin usage after a RNY and sleeve.

I think everyone is different and everyone's body reacts differently to surgery. The choice in which one you have should have is a conversation you should have with your Doctor.

Oh, I agree on both points it is a decision best made between you and your surgeon. But it is never a bad idea to to get as much information from as many independent and reliable sources as possible. You need to make an informed choice and not just be lead down the garden path.

Type II diabetes is mitigated by barbaric surgery of all three types. But in my case I had had diabetes for over twenty years and before going on insulin, I had had a test which showed that my panaceas was no longer producing insulin. So the chances that the surgery was going to cure my diabetes was highly unlikely. I also had a strong genetic component in my disease my grandfather, father, myself and my son all had or have the disease, none of us were severely over weight when we were first afflicted.

Last edited:
Hi Thomas, welcome to the board. For me, every diet I've ever done, I was still able to eat full size portions and adapting to smaller portions never stuck. Also, when I cheated the only real consequence was that I messed up and knew it. I knew that my health was getting worse, and my doctor warned me that diabetes was a real possibility, if I didn't change my ways. So I finally started looking at surgery as an option. I decided that between the pre surgery liquid diet and the post surgery restrictions, I would "reboot" my body. I have not had any "sweets" or table sugar since and I'm to the point now where I don't really miss them. I do still like my carbs, but I eat my protein and veggies first. For me the biggest thing is I eat much smaller portions, am satisfied after I eat and have more energy than before. Seeing the weight come off is an incredible motivation for me. I'm down to XL or L T-shirts now, something I haven't worn in years. I do worry about the long run, but only occasionally. For me, it's one day at a time, just like an alcoholic, for me the addiction is sugar. I plan to win this war on weight and win it permanently.

Frank

:cool:

Thank you so much guys that really does answer my questions and lessen my fears!
and I plan to be the most supportive I can be to help her through this and not be that 50%

I wish you all continued success!

Hi Thomas,

Yes, I could always lose weight but never could keep it off. When on diets I always felt deprived and was hungry a good deal of the time. On talking with my Doctor he told me I probably did not have the hormone that tells you when you have had enough to eat and I think he was right. He told me the lapband would take care of that for me or at least he thought it would. It has been slow going of late because due to my physical problems I can't exercise and that is very important. I am only eating three meals a day and I stick with protein and veggies as per my program directions. I am only hungry like a normal person at mealtimes and that has been a big help for me. Everyone is different and my only wish is that I had done this at least five years ago (my husband was so opposed that I passed it by but i do wish I hadn't). Please support your girlfriend as much as you possibly can, she will need all the support she can get. Go with her to a seminar and feel free to ask your questions because you need answers too. Wishing her the best as she continues on this journey.

I have not had the surgery yet but I am praying that with the surgery I will full. I can drop weight and exerciser but at some point the I give into hunger pangs. I am truly hoping the ability to fill full on small amounts of food will make the difference. Speaking for myself, I have not had any sugar or coffee in four months in preparation for my new life style. Which is another big difference, weight loss surgery and the way of life afterwards is not a diet. Diets by definition are short term methods for loosing weight. My feeling is that people who look at surgery want long term, rest of my life weight loss with health benefits. Not sure if this helped but as others said be supportive. I am so grateful my husband is with my 100% on this new life I am making. He has never had any issue with weight but he sees the pain that is causes in my life and the work I put into loosing the weight. It is something special to have support and someone to talk to. When I need to ask a question or talk to someone who has been there done that I come here.

Again thanks to all those who post questions comments and suggestions. I would not want to do this without ya.

Back