• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

October 30 day (+1) Challenge

Day 22

Tracking -
no
Water - yes

Gratitude - I am grateful for the health care workers. The pandemic hit us with the feels for health care workers, but really, they are out there every day just taking care of people. Injured kids, old people, mentally ill people, sick and crabby people, and probably even some nice people. it's hard to take care of the people you LOVE. Their dedication to strangers is awe inspiring. So, if YOU happen to be a HCW .. thank you for your love of humanity. It's a beautiful thing.

Movement - yes, I hit all my steps and got 32 "zone" minutes.
Food - Well .. lol I made a new dish, which I was going to try over spaghetti squash instead of pasta for even more veggies. I cooked my spaghetti squash in the slow cooker, (too long apparently), because it was disgusting mush. And the food it was supporting was also really not very good. So, long story .. less long .. I ordered pizza. Does pizza sauce count as my RDA of veggies? lol
Hey Missy, I loved your gratitude about health care workers. Very well written. Also, I don't see why pizza sauce can't count as your daily veggie amount LOL. Whenever I have pizza, I only eat the toppings, cheese, & sauce. No crust = no carbs! And thanks for the heads up about no spaghetti sauce in the slow cooker. Eeeeeek

Day 22

Water:
80 oz

Food: had spaghetti from the iconic spaghetti house in town. I ordered my spaghetti as sauce only (served in a bowl), and added some chopped onion and a bit of shredded cheddar. Similar to 3 way chili. Yumilicious!!! So, no noodles, no bread, no dessert ... No carbs! I actually tried to eat a bite of hubbie's homemade coconut cream pie and had to spit it out - way too sweet after 3 months of no sugar. No worries, he ate all the rest of his just fine.

Movement: pushing his wheelchair uphill from the parking space & around the block and back. Then a bit of grocery shopping plus loading & unloading.

Gratitude: I'm grateful to have a delicious meal out with my husband, and for having someone else cooking it. The waitress was so accommodating of my dietary needs, even though it's an old-fashioned very traditional cafe.

Day 22
Water 96
Protein 20
Exercise yes
Plank no
Gratitude for my hubby again. It was a hard day. Blood draw today to be at 1015. Got there was told it would now need to be at 230pm. Now I only have had water all day and this is still all I get. Get back again at 215 to be told it will be more like 3pm. So I just stayed my hubby who drove me went back to work.
Came back to get me after my 335 blood draw. I need to be in the count at work by the time I get back. He did make my food for me and helped cover so I could eat 2 bites and then get sick.
I ate again at 9pm after I got home not even one egg got sick again. Went to Bed.
When I get up for a new day my face is all swelled up. I have no idea why. Have been up for 5 hours still very puffy. Can drink still can't eat. I have no idea if one has anything to do with the other or not. Will try a short walk and see what happens
Wow, what a crazy day. Sure hope you start feeling better soon. ❤❤

Judy, let me say with much love, get back to business, girl! There are a lot of challenges in your life, but nothing that would prevent you from tracking. Stop beating yourself up. You come FIRST! Track your food, even if you can't eat right. You deserve success, and turning your attention to yourself is the first step.

To be loved by others, you first must love yourself!
Thanks Diane. I need a good kick in the butt right now. It's been a crappy week and I need to stop the excuses. You are right, I need to put myself first. Thankfully I woke up today thinking that and your post here was my reaffirmation. Thank you!!!!

I kinda dropped the ball on the challenge. Things just got too much for me, I was overwhelmed by everything. I haven't been tracking, but pretty much eating the same stuff every day and drinking lots of water. If anything, I'm not eating enough, a problem I never thought I'd have. I've been spending too much time in bed or curled up on my recliner watching TV with my hubby just trying to feel better. It will be weeks before my meds reach a therapeutic dose. I sure do miss "me". Feel free to comment Diane, I know you love me.
Take care of yourself Kathi, that is what is important. I hope the meds help sooner rather than later but am very grateful you figured out it needed to be changed. We love you!

Tracking - no
Water - yes
Gratitude - I cannot begin to tell you how grateful I am for this group. There aren't words. Just posting to the challenge is a reality check for me everyday. And then you add in the people, you guys, with all the care and support and it's amazing. I feel like we've become so much more than a standard online WLS support group. You motivate me and inspire me. I worry about you guys when you're struggling and am proud when you overcome.
Movement- no
Food - I'm totally off track on this one. So, I made my next weeks meal plan with stuffed peppers, a roasted cauliflower, a salad, some soup. Should be much better. (I am lost without a plan!)

Day 23
Water 60
Protein 30
Exercise yes
Plank yes
Gratitude for the beautiful weather and our long walk on a farm. We also met a very nice lady who has a pecan farm. She let us come over and walk on the farm look at some video on how they harvest the pecans. Just a fun filled day. Now only my eyes are swollen will have to see what tomorrow brings. Oh and I have some rash on my arms guessing I got into something.

Took a little break from tracking. Made a round trip with a friend to visit her daughter yesterday. I did all the driving, around 400 miles altogether. I actually enjoy that kind of driving, but got caught in a cloudburst on the 6 lane interstate on the way home for about 1/2 hour. Hydroplaned once, didn't realize the head & taillights weren't on (OMG glad we didn't get killed - couldn't see 100 yards ahead or behind), white knuckle driving. Probably left grip marks indented on the steering wheel! Eeeeeek!!! :oops::oops::oops:

So, back to tracking today. I see my PCP tomorrow, and my 3 month follow up with my bariatric team Wed. Hopefully everything goes well, fingers crossed.

I've had a busy week and will continue to be busy as I have company coming for a few days. If I don't check in, that is why. I really feel like I blew October and that really bothers me. So for me to be more mentally with it, I plan on doing a restart next week. One thing I let slide is my habit tracker and I believe that will help me get back to basics.

I've had some mentally low periods this month and I've also noticed I have been bearing some resentment and frustration for my family situation. Not good. But I also found that struggling to get myself together on tracking this month took it's toll too. So one thing at a time... getting through this week first, then concentrating on myself after next when I will put myself first.

I am open to all suggestions. I can't say I am not worried or scared that I can't get my frame of mind where it should be but I am determined to keep trying.

So one thing at a time... getting through this week first, then concentrating on myself after next when I will put myself first
Why can't you do both simultaneously? You're in charge. And as I have quoted some wise sage in the past, "Resentment is a poison I take, hoping to kill you."

I'm pretty ornery. I won't entertain or participate in a celebration if its too much work. Once I spent tons of money and time making Swedish meatballs in sauce for a family potluck. They were devoured in seconds. But not one person asked, "Who made the meatballs?"

That was the last time I ever participated in a family event. Not because no one asked, but because the family message is not to care, just to get as much food into their gullets as possible.

Most people think about their own needs first. You're in for some serious pain. If only they knew how much we treasure you here...

Maybe they don't deserve you. Thank you for being here.

Why can't you do both simultaneously? You're in charge. And as I have quoted some wise sage in the past, "Resentment is a poison I take, hoping to kill you."

Because I was feeling the stress physically and when that happens I wind up just shutting down.

My situation is complicated. My sister is coming to stay for a few days, that part I am fine with. She promised my daughter and granddaughter that she would spend a day with them, that is fine too. My sister has been very generous with them and has done a lot to help them in their day to day lives. I feel my daughter takes advantage of that, she has for years.

While my sister is aware of the fact she cautiously helps her and tries not to enable her and does a good job reining it in when she has to. Lately I feel that my daughter is getting worse and worse in the taking advantage of department and it really has gotten me angry. I've tried calling her out on it this week but it led to her lashing out at me. So, for now I am trying to keep quiet so that the visit goes smoothly but I am stressed out. I am never one to want to take advantage of any situation nor use someone's friendship to my advantage (at least not knowingly) and by her being this way makes me feel like I condone it when I don't.

That's the Reader's Digest version as it is much more complicated than I want to go into or that you need to hear.

Yes, I am in charge and for a few days I need to just do my best at tip-toeing. After that it will be "me" time. And a few words just may come out of my mouth that I've been holding back on. It is what it is.

I hope you can just hang in there this week, Judy, and start moving forward next week after treading water for awhile.

I don't know how much Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D.) "affects" you, but I know that for me, the shorter daylight hours and changing to fall/heading towards winter messes with my emotions and energy level.

I have to get back on track too. Please remember we are all in this together, and picking back up wherever we've left off just means we haven't abandoned our own wellbeing or goals. Good luck! ❤❤❤❤

Day 26
Protein
: My digestive tract has been suffering the consequences of my weekend of fun foods, so I did not eat much yesterday, maybe 30g of protein at most
Water: 64 oz
Movement: no
Grateful: I am grateful for my kids leaving the house for school this year! I love them, but I need time to accomplish things in the house and mental quiet time. They’re getting ready to have a lot of days off, so I’m savoring today.

I hope you can just hang in there this week, Judy, and start moving forward next week after treading water for awhile.

I don't know how much Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D.) "affects" you, but I know that for me, the shorter daylight hours and changing to fall/heading towards winter messes with my emotions and energy level.

I have to get back on track too. Please remember we are all in this together, and picking back up wherever we've left off just means we haven't abandoned our own wellbeing or goals. Good luck! ❤❤❤❤
I've always joked that I get sad when the deck furniture gets put away and the pool is closed. I've always attributed it to my love of summer. But I'm beginning to wonder if that isn't contributing to my depressed feeling. I try to get into whatever season it is by decorating, not as much as I use to but I still try to make the house look seasonal.

Thanks Karen for you well wishes, I appreciate it!

I've always joked that I get sad when the deck furniture gets put away and the pool is closed. I've always attributed it to my love of summer. But I'm beginning to wonder if that isn't contributing to my depressed feeling. I try to get into whatever season it is by decorating, not as much as I use to but I still try to make the house look seasonal.

Thanks Karen for you well wishes, I appreciate it!
My depression takes a hit after taking down all the Christmas decorations. I always say that the extra lights and pretty decorations keep my spirits up. Then everything comes down, and the weather is gloomy, can’t be outside, so my SAD goes into full effect.

Back